My duck hatched with yolk??

addylanich

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2023
Southwestern Ohio
I am trying to hatch my first couple ducks. Friday afternoon both my eggs pipped and yesterday my first duck hatched perfectly fine and is doing great. Today my second duck hatched and it appears to still have it's yolk. It's legs don't look right either, it can't walk. I'll attach pictures. Please help

Attachments

• IMG_20230423_114155.jpg
    IMG_20230423_114155.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230423_114147.jpg
    IMG_20230423_114147.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 26
Did you help this one out of the egg?
Yes. He had been in there for about 2 days and his head was in a very bad position. He was gasping for air like he couldn't breathe and his tooth had fallen off. I did some research and people were saying that if he was gasping for air I needed to help him get out ASAP. All I did was get his head out. I left his body in.

Oh gosh bless it's heart what's the update? I had one that hatched like this and eventually the legs straightened out but did a little home made splint not sure if that was the right thing to do tho
As for the yolk maybe wrap it up in some slightly damp kitchen cloth and keep the yolk from being damaged or drying out to much? that's what I would do but maybe get other opinions, what was temp and humidity during incubation?

Oh gosh bless it's heart what's the update? I had one that hatched like this and eventually the legs straightened out but did a little home made splint not sure if that was the right thing to do tho
As for the yolk maybe wrap it up in some slightly damp kitchen cloth and keep the yolk from being damaged or drying out to much? that's what I would do but maybe get other opinions, what was temp and humidity during incubation?
He is kinda walking but his leg is pretty turned. The yolk is still attached and I was trying to keep him in a coffee cup with a warm wet paper towel. He wasn't too happy so I lined the incubator with warm wet paper towels so he was sitting on wetness for the yolk. I am keeping him in the incubator for now. The temp was 99.5 and the humidity was a bit shaky but generally stayed within the 55-60 percent range during incubation. I am hoping the yolk just falls off 🤷. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've read on other posts that if u can straighten it a little bit and splint it or bandage it it might help the growing leg straighten but I've never seen one that twisted before, the humidity and temp sounded just right, might of been how it developed in the egg
And sounds like you are doing all the right things I would carry on with what u are doing, sometimes ducklings are born with problems and you've done your best no matter what happens remember that ❤️

Yes. He had been in there for about 2 days and his head was in a very bad position. He was gasping for air like he couldn't breathe and his tooth had fallen off. I did some research and people were saying that if he was gasping for air I needed to help him get out ASAP. All I did was get his head out. I left his body in.
He was premature. All you needed to do was ensure he had a hole to breathe through
Ducklings often take longer than 2 days to hatch.

Whatever you do, please do not splint the legs while there is yolk left. Put the duckling in a cup lined with dry paper towels, and leave him in the incubator until the yolk is absorbed. If baby is able to move too much, the yolk could rupture would could lead to bad problems.
The yolk may take a day, maybe even two to absorb. In this time, baby does not need food or water. Just wait

As for the legs, once the yolk is absorbed, better, clearer photos would help a lot. Its possible that baby has slipped tendons, which can be fixed when caught early. It could also be a nutrient deficiency which would have to be figured out and treated with the appropriate vitamins.

Good luck, I hope he makes it

He is kinda walking but his leg is pretty turned. The yolk is still attached and I was trying to keep him in a coffee cup with a warm wet paper towel. He wasn't too happy so I lined the incubator with warm wet paper towels so he was sitting on wetness for the yolk. I am keeping him in the incubator for now. The temp was 99.5 and the humidity was a bit shaky but generally stayed within the 55-60 percent range during incubation. I am hoping the yolk just falls off 🤷. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The wet paper towels could introduce bacteria to the egg. It would also keep the yolk and baby wet which would prolong absorption and potentially chill the baby.

Dry paper towels are much more preferable, but the important thing is that you keep him in a cup, to prevent him from trying to move around and bursting the yolk.
The goal here is not for the yolk to fall off, baby needs the yolks nutrients, that is his lifeline.

Update:
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. I ended up taking him the the vet and they cut the yolk sac off. He seems to be doing well other than his leg being a bit turned. The vet said she thinks his leg will straighten as he grows. I am feeding him a critical care mixture so he gets all the necessary nutrients. He is walking around and even trying to jump out of his tub.

Update:
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. I ended up taking him the the vet and they cut the yolk sac off. He seems to be doing well other than his leg being a bit turned. The vet said she thinks his leg will straighten as he grows. I am feeding him a critical care mixture so he gets all the necessary nutrients. He is walking around and even trying to jump out of his tub.
That's one heck of an irresponsible vet.
His legs will not fix themselves if there is something wrong, such as slipped tendons or a deficiency. Thats a recipe for the animal ending up disabled, and the yolk should not have been cut off.

Back
Top Bottom