Pics
Very strange weather this winter so far. Being from North Florida I can remember maybe a dusting of snow, and once in a while temps would go into the teens. But it wasn't the norm.

Have you tried eating your duck eggs? They are also great for baking.

We had 2 Pekin ducks years that we lost to a predator. We were eating their eggs, tasted just like chicken eggs to me. So we will eat these ones too, but cant wait to hatch them once we know they are fertile and the right size.

So compared the duck eggs to large chicken eggs, a little longer but not much bigger. Also opened two for scrambled eggs. 1 had a white spot on it, not sure if it was fertilized or not. The other had no spot. Last pick is a mix of scrap fruit veggies, egg and egg shells. Every egg we find my 6 year old asks if its an egg we can hatch lol. IMG_4461[1].JPG IMG_4462[1].JPG IMG_4463[1].JPG IMG_4464[1].JPG

So for a little update, looks like Prince is mounting Princess and Mal.. but for only a short amount of time. Not sure if he is getting cleaner, she would be easy to catch since she is the lame one. She seems to be having more problems walking, maybe the cold. I picked her up and did not see bumblefoot. Cleaner is still the only one laying eggs, i have 6 in the incubator will test out tomorrow night to see if any sign of life..

My oldest scovy who is almost 10 yrs old has been limping this winter I am thinking arthritis I just put her on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM to see if that helps. Mating is rough especially if out of water.

Well did a quick candle before work and no veins in any of the eggs.. I believe not a single one was fertilized. I did find 2 eggs in the duck house this morning ,right next to each other, so could be my Pekin (cleaner) laid two eggs this morning... or another duck maybe started to lay? if it is the latter, I have seen my male mount the other two females, just not my pekin.

Back
Top Bottom