My First Coop

It was too hot to keep them inside the coop this afternoon, and as it got dark they all were trying to roost on the run. I thought about trying to catch them and put them back in the coop, but I figured they had enough stress for one day. So, I laid a board across the run and they all hopped on it for the night.

It was too hot to keep them inside the coop this afternoon, and as it got dark they all were trying to roost on the run. I thought about trying to catch them and put them back in the coop, but I figured they had enough stress for one day. So, I laid a board across the run and they all hopped on it for the night.
You really want to keep them in the coop for a few days to 'home' them to sleep there.
Even then, many have to 'herd' young birds into the coop at night at first until they 'get it'.

I noticed that the roost in the coop might be a bit too close to the wall.....
...at least 12" (18" is better) away from the wall is best.

If it's too hot in the coop...looking back.... did you leave eave ventilation open?
Some large gable vents might be in order too.
What is your climate?

You really want to keep them in the coop for a few days to 'home' them to sleep there.
Even then, many have to 'herd' young birds into the coop at night at first until they 'get it'.

I noticed that the roost in the coop might be a bit too close to the wall.....
...at least 12" (18" is better) away from the wall is best.

If it's too hot in the coop...looking back.... did you leave eave ventilation open?
Some large gable vents might be in order too.
What is your climate?

There's a couple more roosts that are a bit higher that go across the inside of the coop. The eaves are open, but I was thinking about adding a gable vent or even a whirly bird. I had read not to close them up in the coop if outside temps were over 70°. I live in central Arkansas. The weather likes to change regularly. Right now we're in a summer pattern of upper 80's, high humidity and afternoon rain.

Last edited:
We had this problem. Our 6x12 coop has two windows 2'x 4' directly across from each other. I thought it would be enough but when the temps and humidity jumped so much, it turned out it wasn't. I was scurrying to get the west facing window covered by a tarp to shade that window from the brutal afternoon sun and to get a fan in it. This has helped tremendously but we are discussing putting up a screen door also(it would be recovered with hardware cloth). Also thinking about a vent in the roof. I think the situation was made worse by the fact that the chicks are young yet and this was the first time they had to acclimate so quickly. My run is not totally safe for night time yet, the coop is, so I made them go back in last night. Yesterday was their first time in the run after being in the coop for five days. Half went in willingly and half I had to coax in with a handful of feed. My 10 week old rooster cracked me up. He kept running back out and attempting to run the last few in and they just weren't listening to him at first. :)

Quote: That would depend on how hot it is inside the coop,
which can be highly dependent on the coop, it's ventilation, and shade nearby that might help keep the coop cooler,
or at least keep from heating up as quickly. It can be hard to balance and you'll figure it out over this first summer.

Where do they go when it's raining?
Just keep plenty of cool water for them in the coop.

Keeping the roosts lower in the coop, just a foot or so above the nests(so they don't sleep and poop in nests), can help keep them cooler, as hot air rises.
Lots of ventilation way up high will let that hot air exit the coop, that why eave and gable(or roof vents) work very well together to exhaust hot air out the top.

We had this problem. Our 6x12 coop has two windows 2'x 4' directly across from each other. I thought it would be enough but when the temps and humidity jumped so much, it turned out it wasn't. I was scurrying to get the west facing window covered by a tarp to shade that window from the brutal afternoon sun and to get a fan in it. This has helped tremendously but we are discussing putting up a screen door also(it would be recovered with hardware cloth). Also thinking about a vent in the roof. I think the situation was made worse by the fact that the chicks are young yet and this was the first time they had to acclimate so quickly. My run is not totally safe for night time yet, the coop is, so I made them go back in last night. Yesterday was their first time in the run after being in the coop for five days. Half went in willingly and half I had to coax in with a handful of feed. My 10 week old rooster cracked me up. He kept running back out and attempting to run the last few in and they just weren't listening to him at first. :)

I have 2 windows on the front, 2 leuvered vents on one side and a window above the nesting box, open eaves plus the coop is next to a shade tree. But no amount of venting will keep this Arkansas humidity away.

You have such good opportunity for more ventilation with such a nice high peak to the roof. I'd be cutting in to those gables and installing some vents there.

Double hung windows are a nice design feature, but I like a window you can open fully. For my coop I took the sash from a salvaged window and installed it such that it is hinged at the top and can be fully opened to maximize airflow. The bonus is that it also prevents it from raining in.

You have such good opportunity for more ventilation with such a nice high peak to the roof. I'd be cutting in to those gables and installing some vents there.

Double hung windows are a nice design feature, but I like a window you can open fully. For my coop I took the sash from a salvaged window and installed it such that it is hinged at the top and can be fully opened to maximize airflow. The bonus is that it also prevents it from raining in.

For Sure!!
Ditto on the windows too.

@allanb ....It's really hard to think about additions and modifications after weeks and weeks of hard work and you finally think you're done...sigh.
But in a little bit, if you enjoyed the building process at all, you'll be jonsin' to do some more...then you can tackle some mods.
First take a breath, cold beverage in the shade while you watch the chickens and think about it.

Back
Top Bottom