My flock has several sicknesses.... Please help!

Because y'all r help too!

Is this your website?
http://saveabird.yolasite.com/the-donation-station.php

I read many of your posts and I must say that I am confused... Many posts you're looking to buy, others are promoting your website, there is even one that says you gave $5, but you don't mention that it's yours. But then you whine about paying for shipping and necropsies. What's up with you? If I have misread something, I apologize.

Harry, remember to take it slow when using a syringe, give her plenty of time to swallow. It is easy to drown a chicken when using this method. Especially if she is struggling against you.
Yes, I am trying to be very patient and gentle, in hopes that she will get used to me. I always
wait a little bit before I give her the next sip. It's more like droplets with this syringe. I had
thought about her having trouble swallowing quickly since she is having breathing trouble
anyway, so I give her a chance to cough and get settled. I am so new at this it really just
scares me that I'm going to hurt them or do something wrong, but so far so good.
thumbsup.gif

Harry Rooster, weigh your bird!
I weighed them both. The rooster is 3 lb 12oz and the pullet is 2 lb 11oz aprox. It was a digital scale used for
weighing candle wax so the oz numbers kept going up and down, but it was around 11oz. It took me forever
to figure out how many tsp that 400mg per gallon was, and I'm not positive I had it right. I calculated 2 tsp
equal 400mg but the bag said 400-800mg. Don't know why that big of a jump in doseage mg. I was afraid
to put more, so I probably haven't been giving enough, and like you said by putting it in the water, cause
she doesn't drink a gallon a day, only about less than 1qt.
idunno.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss. It really hurts to loose one. My heart cries.
hit.gif
Yes, that is how my pullet sounds, and she coughs. You can hear her ratteling, and she has like lazy eyes, kindof off to the side gaze, and bubbles in her eye too. Beware, because if ours have the same thing, it is very contagious, because my cockrel Little Baby was not in the pen with these new pullets, only looking at them from a close range, and about a day later he got sick. He is better however, but she is still sick, but she eats and drinks good. She eats like she's starving, but I think that's just because she actually was starving before we got her, and she's just learned that behavior, cause I give her all she wants. She eats until she falls asleep, with her beak hanging over the bowl. If I left the bowl in at night, she would probably eat in her sleep.
hu.gif

I weighed them both. The rooster is 3 lb 12oz and the pullet is 2 lb 11oz aprox. It was a digital scale used for
weighing candle wax so the oz numbers kept going up and down, but it was around 11oz. It took me forever
to figure out how many tsp that 400mg per gallon was, and I'm not positive I had it right. I calculated 2 tsp
equal 400mg but the bag said 400-800mg. Don't know why that big of a jump in doseage mg. I was afraid
to put more, so I probably haven't been giving enough, and like you said by putting it in the water, cause
she doesn't drink a gallon a day, only about less than 1qt.
idunno.gif

Quote: Weighed them. What would be the doseage? How do I mix it up, and how many times per day? Which is best Tetracycline, Cephlexin 500, Tylan 50,
I realize you may not know since I don't know exactly what they have, haven't gotten the necropsy report back yet and it will probably be a while, last time the vet sent a tumor from my Golden Retreiver off for analysis it took over a week and cost $100.00. Don't really know what to expect since chickens may be different. If you don't have an opinion I understand. Still could be Coccidiosis also I guess. I received the Corid I ordered but I haven't given it because I didn't know if it would react violently with the Tetracycline, you know too much at once. I did give them the Wazine at first for about 4 days, then I quit when I found out that it probably would'nt help.

Weighed them. What would be the doseage? How do I mix it up, and how many times per day? Which is best Tetracycline, Cephlexin 500, Tylan 50,
I realize you may not know since I don't know exactly what they have, haven't gotten the necropsy report back yet and it will probably be a while, last time the vet sent a tumor from my Golden Retreiver off for analysis it took over a week and cost $100.00. Don't really know what to expect since chickens may be different. If you don't have an opinion I understand. Still could be Coccidiosis also I guess. I received the Corid I ordered but I haven't given it because I didn't know if it would react violently with the Tetracycline, you know too much at once. I did give them the Wazine at first for about 4 days, then I quit when I found out that it probably would'nt help.

According to the 7th Edition of Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, the Cephalexin doses for birds are between 35-100mg per kg, by mouth (not in drinking water) every 6 hours. How's your math?

Back
Top Bottom