My flock has several sicknesses.... Please help!

I think the Maran rooster that flipped over and died had a tapeworm. The one that died too I think he had coccidiosis or however you spell it lol
tongue.png
did I spell it right? Hehe
I had 2 birds with tapeworm and treated them. They both lived, but one died from paralyzation!
So sorry about your chickens
hugs.gif
but why do you think it was tapeworms? Did you see something indicating that? Did you see worms? I didn't know they could paralyze. At the beginning of my bird's sickness, I put Wazine 1 capful per gal. in their medicated water with ACV 4TBS per gal. for 4 days, but then I read that it is only good for 1 specific kind of worm (I think it was tapeworm). Didn't see anything looking like worms in pooh at any time before or after. So I don't know how much good it did, but I stopped because it said on the bottle not to give to sick animals.

Wazine (piperazine) is for roundworms. Only two wormers get tapeworms... Praziquantil gets just tapes and Albendazole gets *all* worms. Fenbendazole gets all but tapeworms.

Last edited:
Not sure if you read my earlier post, draw 10 ml of water up with syringe, empty capsule of cephalexin into a cup, squirt the water on top, mix well and then draw it up into syringe. You now have 10 x 1 ml ( or 1 cc) doses. Just remember to shake well before each administration.
If you have pills grind them up with a mortar & pestle, and mix as above.
" isolate all birds with symptoms " if you don't have the space, put up physical barriers between them. Even a close knit shade cloth between pens will go some way to preventing them from sneezing on each other.
I did not see the earlier post. The capsules are 500mg. Does that matter as opposed to 250 mg? And 1 ml = 1 cc? I do have them seperated, and I have a blanket over part of her cage that's facing him. I've sprayed lysol in the air a couple of times, but then at second thought, considered that it may not be a good thing for them to inhale, so I haven't done that anymore. They are about 3-4 ft away from each other.

I did not see the earlier post. The capsules are 500mg. Does that matter as opposed to 250 mg? And 1 ml = 1 cc? I do have them seperated, and I have a blanket over part of her cage that's facing him. I've sprayed lysol in the air a couple of times, but then at second thought, considered that it may not be a good thing for them to inhale, so I haven't done that anymore. They are about 3-4 ft away from each other.

Harry, the dosage I gave you was for cephalexin 500 mg, and yes 1 ml = 1 cc after 3 or 4 days, they had no symptoms, so I switched them to Trimidine powder.( I think it is similar to sulmet)
I can't get tylan here in Aus.
1f601.png

Okay. So how much do I give them? Does weight matter. The pullet is only 2 lb 11 oz and the cockerel is only 3 lb 12 oz. She is kindof small and young. He is a Bantam cockerel. I assume I wouldn't give them each a whole syringe 10ml? And is it just once a day? Haven't got the Tylan yet. I looked at the link from BantamWhisperer and some symptoms are like Coccidiosis. Facial swelling in the cockerel, but has gone down now. He is much better. That seems to indicate that it is more of a respiratory infection than a parasite problem, because the Tetracycline wouldn't have been effective at all against the parasite problem, would it? I have the Corid but haven't given it to them because I didn't want adverse reactions from drug mixing with the Tetracycline. I know it is going to take forever for the necropsy report, and I'm not even sure how that will come out since the pullet died on Sat. nite, and I couldn't get it to the vet until Mon. morning. Didn't know I was supposed to refridgerate it, so I wrapped it in about 4 plastic bags and stuck it in a metal barrel outside. Fortunately it was very cold outside until Monday. So I don't know what to expect. I wouldn't have put it in my fridge anyway, no way! It already stunk when it was alive.
sickbyc.gif

Harry, the dosage I gave you was for cephalexin 500 mg, and yes 1 ml = 1 cc after 3 or 4 days, they had no symptoms, so I switched them to Trimidine powder.( I think it is similar to sulmet)
I can't get tylan here in Aus.
1f601.png
Okay I assumed that you gave 1 cc, so that's what I gave her and mixed it like you said, so I still have the other 9 cc drawn up in the syringe and in a sandwich bag in the fridge. I guess I give it once a day? I didn't put any Tetracycline in her water this time, I suppose it would be best just to give her the one medication at a time. I am still putting electrolytes in the water and the ACV also. Do you know how long I will need to put those two things in the water? Do you put ACV in the water everyday, always every time you get fresh water, or do you stop after a certain amount of days, or just so many days a week? And the electrolytes, I assumed I should put it in her water until she was fully recovered. She is eating well and drinking well also. Hope the new antibiotic works better. We'll see.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom