My Flock Journey

Pics
I'm so sorry to hear you are loosing some of your chicks :hitI hope you can work out what is going on. What is their poo like? And sad on the dog getting your big girls too. I get where you are though, I know that I will loose chicks / chickens over time but I feel that free ranging is such a lovely way for them to live that I think it is worth the risks. I recently lost a 5 weeks old chick - just dissapeared - no trace / feathers etc. I think probably a hawk.

At the moment their poop isnt really runny or anything its starting to harden up a bit. When I first got them they were really runny and the 2 I got yesterday were really runny and starving.
My other girl that I have left she free ranges really well. But she wasn't the leader so they may have wondered off for first 5. But then the next 2 just disappeared 1 by 1 without a trace also. At the moment Hazel is in her coop unless we are home shes out with us until we secured the fence near the coop better. I have the wire just waiting on a price for everything else then it will be going up. My goal is for my girls to free range successfully. I just feel its healthier for them and I would hate to be in a coop all the time so I really don't want them to be.
I thought free ranging will be hard and I expected to lose some but I take the risk because I do care for them and want happy birds.

Back
Top Bottom