My four year old broke the chicks leg!! What to do??

williamsvicki3

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Pearl River
My chicks are three weeks old. They are in a wooden brooder under our carport. The lid on the brooder lifts up to open. My little girl has been told not to open it unless I am out there. Well, you know how four year olds are, she opened it this evening and one of the chicks flew up on the side. It scared her so she slammed the lid down. The chicks leg was caught in between the lid and the brooder. The lid is pretty heavy. She told me what happened, I went out to check and sure enough the chicks leg is definitely broken. It just kind of dangles under the chick like it must be broke well, maybe by the hip but more on the leg? I am not sure. Is there any hope for the chick? What should I do to try and fix it. Right now I have it in a small cage on the kitchen table with a light on it. Trying to make sure it is able to get food and water with my help. Suggestions?

oh poor thing. I supposes you could try to splint it, but its hard to tell if you would get it to line of right. Hopefully one of the more experience chicken keepers on here will have some advice

A long time ago my mom had a pocket parakeet that got its leg bitten in half by our parrot.... She actually put it back together and the bird was fine. She put a band-aid on it and that was strong enough to let it hobble around. It worked like a cast for its leg. I also remember that she gave it some kind of medicine so it would not get infected. I am sorry I am not much help, but do completely understand the four year old thing. I just wanted to give you some hope and someone on byc will know what to do......

Oh my gosh. I have a 4 year old and have been so worried that something like this would happen. I'm so sorry for you, your chick and your little girl. I'm sure she feels terrible.

Thanks everybody. The only problem I am having with a splint is that the leg seems broken up at the hip (or what ever you call it). So how do I splint that? I feel so helpless!!

Back
Top Bottom