My hen can’t walk!

That is good news. So pleased she enjoyed her spa.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes a sling can be beneficial both to keep them in a more upright position so that they are not lying in their poop.... cutting a poop hole in the right place in the fabric of the sling takes a few goes to get right sometimes but well worth doing for the ease of cleaning up..... and allowing them to "feel" the ground without having to fully weight bear.

That is good news. So pleased she enjoyed her spa.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Yes a sling can be beneficial both to keep them in a more upright position so that they are not lying in their poop.... cutting a poop hole in the right place in the fabric of the sling takes a few goes to get right sometimes but well worth doing for the ease of cleaning up..... and allowing them to "feel" the ground without having to fully weight bear.
Thats fine :)
Should I try to make it out of an old t-shirt? Or would something else be better?

This is a very simple version...
sling 2.png

I made her a sling, and so far she loves it! I had to make a few adjustments, but now she is sitting there just loving life. I noticed last night that her skin on her underbelly was getting red from laying on it so much. So this should help. Also, unrelated, but she pooped a yellow poop. Does this mean I should get her on corrid?
059D38CC-8B35-42BC-BD9E-EAD3B37E8ABD.jpeg
7EA4F9CA-89CD-49FD-A4BF-163D1CA9CBF9.jpeg

Well done on her sling and excellent that she seems to be happy in it. If you cut a small gash in the fabric in front of her head, you can push a small empty yoghurt carton into each and put food and water in them so that she can help herself whenever she wants. The lip on the yoghurt pot stops it falling right through and should hold it at a slight angle tipped towards her which will make it easier for her to access them, or you can construct a bar across the front of the sling and clip your food and water pots to that. It is great to see all the different ideas that people come up with for these things. Thanks for posting your photo.

Can you post a photo of the poop? I would be reluctant to treat her for cocci if it is not necessary because if it is Marek's, the last thing you want to do is deplete her body of much needed vitamins. Often birds with Marek's don't get enough to eat and the yellow poop is caused by bile from their liver. Providing a probiotic or fermented feed or a little live natural yoghurt may be more beneficial, but make sure you have Corid on hand just in case it is Coccidiosis and if she starts showing more obvious symptoms then I would give her a direct dose rather than putting it in her water. Marek's suppresses the immune system which can then leave them vulnerable to coccidiosis, so it is good that you are alert to it.

Back
Top Bottom