My hen can’t walk!

She tries to walk, but I don’t think she can. At least, not well, and not long. I think it either hurts to walk, or she is too weak. I’m not sure though. When I set her on the roost, she tries to grip, but her legs give out and she just goes limp. Her toes try to grip though.

I would continue feeding her the way you are, and offer some egg, tuna, or liver with the wet feed. Give her chicken vitamins, and make sure they have riboflavin in them. Hopefully, she has a vitamin deficiency, or is weak from not eating, which could be due to her leg provlem and not getting around. Mareks could be a problem, but I would hope not.

I would continue feeding her the way you are, and offer some egg, tuna, or liver with the wet feed. Give her chicken vitamins, and make sure they have riboflavin in them. Hopefully, she has a vitamin deficiency, or is weak from not eating, which could be due to her leg provlem and not getting around. Mareks could be a problem, but I would hope not.
I can give her some tuna and egg tomorrow, but would the tuna have too much salt? The tuna I have on hand has 140 mg of sodium/ serving and it has 2 servings. Should I rinse it or soak it before giving it to her?

I'm afraid that looks and sounds very much like Marek's to me. She is within the vulnerable age group and adding the new chicks may have been the trigger. Where did you get her from? Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's as a newly hatched chick?
All you can do is keep her well fed and watered and as stress free as possible. A good poultry supplement like Nutri Drench will help to support her immune system and help her fight the virus. If you get a nice warm, sunny day and can put her outside for a bit on some grass (perhaps in a cage) within sight of the others that may help, but otherwise keeping her warm well fed and comfortable is the best you can do.
If it is Marek's she will be a carrier for life and prone to other attacks if she survives this one, but I have had some birds that have gone over a year between attacks and had a very good quality of life in between. If she loses interest in food then I usually euthanize at that point as they go downhill pretty rapidly after that in my experience.
Good luck with her and the rest of your flock.... Marek's is contagious.... the virus spreads via dander dust from an infected bird which is inhaled into the respiratory system to infect others. It then lies dormant until something triggers an attack.... similar to the cold sore virus in humans, so you can't tell who carries the virus until they have an outbreak.... in fact they are both caused by a Herpes virus.
I'm sorry to suggest such a horrible diagnosis but it is better to be prepared for the worst and it perhaps not be so bad. Marek's is such a common and widespread disease that it is the most likely cause of such symptoms, particularly in a bird of this age.

I'm afraid that looks and sounds very much like Marek's to me. She is within the vulnerable age group and adding the new chicks may have been the trigger. Where did you get her from? Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's as a newly hatched chick?
All you can do is keep her well fed and watered and as stress free as possible. A good poultry supplement like Nutri Drench will help to support her immune system and help her fight the virus. If you get a nice warm, sunny day and can put her outside for a bit on some grass (perhaps in a cage) within sight of the others that may help, but otherwise keeping her warm well fed and comfortable is the best you can do.
If it is Marek's she will be a carrier for life and prone to other attacks if she survives this one, but I have had some birds that have gone over a year between attacks and had a very good quality of life in between. If she loses interest in food then I usually euthanize at that point as they go downhill pretty rapidly after that in my experience.
Good luck with her and the rest of your flock.... Marek's is contagious.... the virus spreads via dander dust from an infected bird which is inhaled into the respiratory system to infect others. It then lies dormant until something triggers an attack.... similar to the cold sore virus in humans, so you can't tell who carries the virus until they have an outbreak.... in fact they are both caused by a Herpes virus.
I'm sorry to suggest such a horrible diagnosis but it is better to be prepared for the worst and it perhaps not be so bad. Marek's is such a common and widespread disease that it is the most likely cause of such symptoms, particularly in a bird of this age.
Yes, Mareks is what came to my mind first, but I am really hoping for something else. She was not vaccinated. I got her from someone who hatched her around me. I really hope this isnt the case. I love all my birds and i don't want to see them suffer

Would giving her a warm bath be a good idea? I feel like it would be a good way to calm her muscles and I could put some epsom salt in it.
Also, do you think making her a sling would be a good idea?

Last edited:
048F5FF1-0D8B-456C-AC03-BA122A5A454D.jpeg

Here she is today.
Btw: her poop looks mostly normal. It is the right colors, but it is a bit looser and stinkier than normal.

she is doing about the same this morning. she cant stand, but she scoots around using her wings and pushing with her legs. she pooped and layed inside it, so i will probably give her a nice soaking after work.
should I make her a sling so she can stand and exercise her legs?

Back
Top Bottom