My hen is vomiting yellow-brown liquid and has green slimy poops PLEASE HELP!!!

HettiesHens

Hatching
Jan 1, 2019
Please help me save my hen! I've noticed that one of my leghorn hens has been acting strange, more lethargic and subdued than usual. The other day my mother noticed that she was 'vomiting' a clear liquid and asked me to investigate.

I approached and immediately noticed that she was acting strange; she was huddled into herself sitting outside next to the coop door and not engaging with her flock. I picked her up, which normally she wouldn't let me do, and immediately began expelling a clear liquid from her mouth. I held her until she finished and decided to separate her from the flock just in case and put her in a wire pen with fresh hay, water with cider vinegar and some mealworms. She seemed to perk back up and I returned her the next day.

However, it's been two days and my mom noticed that she wasn't doing well again. She was lethargic again and saw her poop a greenish slimy poop and then expelled fluid from her mouth again, only this time it was a brownish-yellow liquid. I again held her until she seemed to finish and she's eaten and drank a little but she's still very lethargic.

This time I also noticed that her rear area was dirtier than normal and was covered in poop. I want to clean her off but I'm hesitant to get her wet as it's below freezing right now where I'm at.

I've asked fellow neighbors who have chickens and they're unsure, they think she might have a blocked vent, but I'm unsure how to remedy that, plus I'm afraid to wash her since it's so cold.

Please, please someone help me, I've done so much research and it's sounds like it could be a dozen different things from asistes to sour crop to some kind of bacterial infection. I'm not sure what to do or what she needs!

If anyone could give any insight or advice I would be extremely grateful! If you also know a good poultry vet or a vet that would see chickens in the Broomfield, CO area or somewhere nearby please let me know! I love my hens and I want to save her!

I am certainly far from an expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in. First perhaps, what does her crop feel like?

I am certainly far from an expert. Hopefully someone else will chime in. First perhaps, what does her crop feel like?
It feels...puffy? I'm not sure what a normal crop should feel like. I felt her rear end to see if she has "water belly" but it's not swollen like it would suggest.

Are you able to bring her into the house to keep her warm and so you can wash her without worries about the temperature? I think that would be a good start if you’re able to... (I also know it’s not always possible depending on your living situation)

You can blow dry her after a soak in Epson Salt Spa.

How old is she?
Is she laying? When was the last time she laid?
Is she eating? Drinking?
What are you feeding? Does she have grit available? Does she have Oyster Shells?
Check her crop in the morning (should be empty) and in the evening (should have food in it) ... Does her breath smell?
Does your flock free range? Could she have eaten poison? Decaying stuff?

I did read in your post that you're Broomfield, CO ... You may want to update your profile with your location.

@azygous @casportpony @Eggcessive @nightowl223 @Percheron chick
Thank you in advance for your help ... Happy New Year

I'm reasonably certain your hen has a crop disorder. You will need to check her crop first thing come morning before she has any access to food or water. This is extremely important.

You will palpate (feel) the crop and decide if it's hard and lumpy or soft and full of liquid or empty. I'm betting on full of liquid like a water balloon.

Smell the hen's head. Do you detect an odor? Does it smell like sauerkraut or like a stopped up garbage disposal (rotting food)? It may not smell at all, which means nothing.

Is she drinking a lot of water and ignoring food?

Those things will help diagnose the problem. Here's further help in understanding crop disorders and what you will need to do. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

A chicken with a crop disorder will not feel hungry, and will slowly starve unless treated. The green slimy poop indicates she's starting to starve.

Back
Top Bottom