my hen isn't doing great

InducedAgate

Chirping
Sep 21, 2016
I have this four year old barred rock hen. Her comb is pale and drooped over, and she doesn't seem to be eating much. She has been really lazy lately, too. Her poops are mostly white, and I know it's because she hasn't been nourished well, but what I don't understand is why she twitches her head and clicks her beak loudly when she's eating. It isn't much of a twitch, it's just kind of like something is bothering her.

I should actually get to emptying her crop. Could it be the malnourishment causing the small twitch?

not sure. I'm inexperienced but it sounds like her symptoms are not life threatening. check her crop and maybe feed some protein like eggs, fish or meat. why is she sluggish? more details needed about your chicken and flock to make an assessment.

Hi welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I know chickens don't have a gag reflex so they shake their head to get things out of the throat. Doesn't sound like that though.

Have you ever wormed? Not sure if it gets resolved by worming, but gape worm is inside the mouth or throat. Also any other parasite could cause deterioration like described.

Although it may not be life threatening immediately, I disagree with the previous post and believe that it very well could be. Dying slowly is still dying and maybe even worse.

Wish I could be more help!

Good Luck!

I have wormed before, but it's been a few months... I just asked my mother about getting stuff from our vet to do that.

I'll get up a video to show my flock, since it's probably better than trying to describe how she's doing.

I have this four year old barred rock hen. Her comb is pale and drooped over, and she doesn't seem to be eating much. She has been really lazy lately, too. Her poops are mostly white, and I know it's because she hasn't been nourished well, but what I don't understand is why she twitches her head and clicks her beak loudly when she's eating. It isn't much of a twitch, it's just kind of like something is bothering her.

I should actually get to emptying her crop. Could it be the malnourishment causing the small twitch?

Welcome to BYC!

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom