Chickenunsernam

Chirping
Jan 16, 2017
Hi everyone:

I have an 11 year old hen, part leghorn, who in her day laid a many eggs. In her old age she stopped laying egg which I understand.

However, she recently (like two days ago) starting laying eggs again, going in the nest box. The first egg was long and thin and oddly shaped. The second had a shell that was paper thin and popped when she laid it.

I'm really worried especially because just a whilee ago she literally pooped an egg. That is the egg had no shell and there was poop with clear liquid and liquid yolk too. She also kept tasting something in her mouth and then vomited on me (Ew...but I'm mostly worried). :barnieWhat does this mean for my hen? What should I do? She's never been one to get sick (like ever). :th

Oh my. Never heard of that, but know that old hens usually have lots of egg related problems. If you spare expense for the vet, I doubt there is much they can do with her being so old. 10 years is the life span for hens who don't get eaten by many things. If it were me, I would make sure she was as comfortable and happy as possible until she eventually passes.

She's very old. Just keep her bottom clean, give her whatever tickles her fancy to eat and let her enjoy her golden years. If the barfing was just once its probably nothing to worry about. The start up of her egg laying may suggest she's coming to the end though as it isn't unheard of for very old hens to try to pass on genetics before its too late. :)

Look up EYP, that's egg yolk peritonitis... that can happen when an egg breaks inside a hen... also a possibility when the egg is shell-less and membrane ruptures... check her for abdominal swelling...

@casportpony am I on track here?
Yeah, sounds like it could be EYP. Also might want to give her some calcium gluconate or calcium citrate.

Yeah, sounds like it could be EYP. Also might want to give her some calcium gluconate or calcium citrate.

Thanks, Kathy! I worry about egg byproducts running around willy-nilly inside a bird, way too easy for bacterial infection to happen... :hmm

X2 on the calcium, calcium citrate absorbs quickest and best, ime...

Look up EYP, that's egg yolk peritonitis... that can happen when an egg breaks inside a hen... also a possibility when the egg is shell-less and membrane ruptures... check her for abdominal swelling...

Thanks, I just looked it up and it looks really scary actually. It was actually pretty swollen but i tried not to touch her too much because I could see she wasnt well.

:fl I just hope I can fix this...

thanks for the replies! A question though- what if I cant get calcium for her? Is there something I could feed her to help inprove her calcium intake? I worry I wont be able to find what I need tomorrow for her.

Back
Top Bottom