My hens are already laying but I have some questions.

ChickenGirl-7

In the Brooder
May 17, 2022
So lately my welsummer has gotten broody and she just won't stop! I took away her fake egg but she still was going into the box! She also has been really itchy and we can't find any mites or bugs, and every thing I tried just didn't help, but today I found in her tail feathers this skin covered bump sticking up with some brown feather lookin stuff sticking out of it. She kept itching it nonstop and I wonder if there something wrong with that or if it's just natural. If you know what's going on please tell me because it's really concerning. :confused:

Attachments

• karan1.jpg
    karan1.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 4
  • karan2.jpg
    karan2.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 3
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
For the itching, you can still just dust her with permethrin containing poultry dust.
You need to set her up in an elevated wire dog crate with a piece of wood in it and food and water. Leave her in there for three days and nights. Let her out about 1 hour prior to roost time on the last day and monitor her. If she goes to roost with the others, she broke. If not, toss her back in the clink for another night and day and try again the next night. Keep going until she roosts. She'll eventually break.

Back
Top Bottom