My home has become 'Crow Central' Why?

Justin Bieber would certainly scare me away!!
Lol! I wouldn't be able to stand to play it to scare the birds away!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Oh, and this is so unrelated, but I'm involved in an RP: The Verge of War....check it out, it's super fun! We'd love to have you guys ;-)

Hey Luddite

All the research I have done on Crows and trust me, over the past couple of months it has been heaps, indicates that they have a very good communication network and your Crow would probably have told all his friends about his encounter but judging from your second post, probably not gunna happen.

This is going to sound awful but if he does pass, you might wanna find somewhere to lay him where the other Crows can see him; apparently nothing deters Crows more than the sight of a dead Crow.

My run is covered and if I were you, yep I would definitely cover the run .. Crows will steal eggs also.

So, the CD appears to have worked and I am back to just the determined two, one of which woke me up this morning and is now sitting in the front tree cawing, interestingly it is not being answered.

I will continue to play the CD today.

So, I thought it was time to update this thread.

I am down to one persistent Crow ... I can hear them in the neighbourhood but only one is game enough to venture into our back yard. 

Apparently, crazy lady with large water pistol in one hand and broom or garden hoe in the other is far more effective than CD's.  Also, being picked on by smaller birds in the trees does not appear to be their cup of tea either ;)  

As free range is always supervised, I am able to keep an eye on this one determined evil black butted b*^%$d and as soon as he realises I have spotted him, he takes off :)

I was watering the garden yesterday and looked up into the mango tree to see him looking down at me; I pointed the hose in his general direction and he scampered across the branches to the edge of the tree and flew off.

I may just have won the war with the only casualties being a couple of eggs ;)  

I'd be careful about saying you won the war just yet, you.may jinx it and they may just come back next year withan even bigger army! :p

But seriously though for now it's great they moved on :)

Hey pattyhen I might have to reneg on that delivery
wink.png

While the Crows have been hanging around in the tree; following the second bashing of the determined one from Dusty, they have not touched ground in the back yard. They have been sitting in the trees, watching free range but no-one has appeared to be game enough to take on The Dustmeister
D.gif

I have crows, ravens and magpies around where I live and despite there being open fields where one can see gliding kestrels and other birds of prey literally down the road from where I live, I haven't seen a single one over where I live, other than a strange owl that was out during the day, I believe it was an escaped pet or something, that was circling around our yard once though, but it lost interest when it heard the chattering and cawing from our unusual guards.

The various corvids that live nearby and visit the yard haven't messed with my chickens, even with the tiny chicks, but they saw what mama hen did to my cat and probably don't want to have their feathers plucked out by her. :p I feed them by tossing leftovers onto the shed roof for them to eat also, to ensure they stick around and keep the more dangerous birds away. I have also observed them sometimes try and land on the yard to gather molted feathers, but get chased off by the territorial sparrows who hoard the feathers to themselves for their nests.

Thank you both for your thoughts
smile.png

OK, maybe I am being a little harsh on my new house guests and I will try and be more accommodating. I have not seen any Hawks around here but if they are going to chase them off; I will learn to live with them.

I will add though, this morning, when I looked out the window there was something in the driveway and when I went to check it out, it was a meaty spinal disc of some large animal, maybe a cow or sheep. I believe they have stolen one of the neighbour's dogs bones!

Or, is it a warning?! lol
hide.gif
Cue the 'Birds' soundtrack!

If I should 'disappear' hopefully someone will find this thread and it could be a starting point for the investigation
lau.gif

Only 7 of them in this shot; the rest were in the trees, planning the attack! lol

I can see it now police investigate missing BYC member. All other BYC members keep saying it was the crows it was the crows lol

Back
Top Bottom