My horses feet are squishy from the snow. Any advice?

Are you taking about her heel bulbs? The back of her foot that rounds out? That is normal. My horses have been in the snow for weeks with a dry place to stand for the most part. I use Thrush Buster or Thrush rid per my farriers advice for prevention. You can apply it to the grooves along side the frog weekly. It helps prevent thrush with can occur in wet climates.

Are you taking about her heel bulbs? The back of her foot that rounds out? That is normal. My horses have been in the snow for weeks with a dry place to stand for the most part. I use Thrush Buster or Thrush rid per my farriers advice for prevention. You can apply it to the grooves along side the frog weekly. It helps prevent thrush with can occur in wet climates.
Yes, her heel bulbs and her frog. Her frog has developed a hole that gives it layers, it’s very weird. She’s not lame at all, so idk. Thank you for responding

My farrier likens this to when you are in the bathtub a long time and your skin wrinkles up. Completely normal, as previous posters have said.
Through the winter, I like to apply genuine Venice turpentine once a week to my horses' hooves. It toughens up their soles and helps protect against the wet weather. I don't do this when it's hot and dry, because it will dry out their hooves. Look for the genuine Venice turpentine and not a blend.

I also use Vetericyn Hoof Care to prevent/treat thrush. The remedies other posters have suggested also work well. I like this product because it's a spray, though, and super easy to apply. It isn't caustic, either.

Your horses don't need anything special after having their teeth floated. They'll probably be delighted to simply be unhaltered and let loose!

Happy horsekeeping! from ILoveDaffy's mom (who cares for the horses and leaves the chickens to her daughter)

My farrier likens this to when you are in the bathtub a long time and your skin wrinkles up. Completely normal, as previous posters have said.
Through the winter, I like to apply genuine Venice turpentine once a week to my horses' hooves. It toughens up their soles and helps protect against the wet weather. I don't do this when it's hot and dry, because it will dry out their hooves. Look for the genuine Venice turpentine and not a blend.

I also use Vetericyn Hoof Care to prevent/treat thrush. The remedies other posters have suggested also work well. I like this product because it's a spray, though, and super easy to apply. It isn't caustic, either.

Your horses don't need anything special after having their teeth floated. They'll probably be delighted to simply be unhaltered and let loose!

Happy horsekeeping! from ILoveDaffy's mom (who cares for the horses and leaves the chickens to her daughter)
Thank you!! This really helped. I’m new to owning horses, and I got her from a neglect case, and it was said that she was “ up to date on everything “ but when I asked about her teeth they said that she had never had her teeth done, and she was not cared for in her original home for two years sooo I believe it’s about time. I’m nervous that she’ll freak out on the vet 😬 she only really likes me , no other people. I’ll let y’all know how it goes tho.

Congratulations on your new pony @Quarterhorses1 ! Most exciting!!
I don't live in a cold climate but my thought is while you have the vet there doing teeth have him recommend a good farrier. Feet are super important and if this horse was neglected, just like teeth, spend the $ on feet too. It will go a long way. A hole suggest a popped abscess but don't know without a photo and even with photo may not be able to tell but your farrier will. He/she will be able to give your pony a good check and trim that is so incredibly important. No time like the present to establish your relationship with the person who is going to be seeing your pony at the VERY least 6+ times a year.

You can give your pony some Bute if he/she has bad teeth and the vet works him over, being it is his/her 1st time it may cause discomfort but hopefully not. Ask vet and have them provide for you as it is a good thing to have in your first-aid kit and can be hard to come by sometimes.

We, 4-6 times per week- durasole for the soles, Hoof-X for a topical hoof treatment, Horse Shoers Secret hoof supplements w/ their Total Equine. I know that sounds excessive but we had a horse founder once and that went into the 1,000s easy with many, many hours of care for many, many months. Feet are important and it's good you look and notice ♡♡
Would love to see some photos of your new ride! And again congratulations!

Last edited:
A hole suggest a popped abscess but don't know without a photo and even with photo may not be able to tell but your farrier will. He/she will be able to give your pony a good check and trim that is so incredibly important. No time like the present to establish your relationship with the person who is going to be seeing your pony at the VERY least 6+ times a year.
Yes! A good farrier is so important! We love our farrier, she's willing to work with us and we can bounce ideas off each other. Worth a million bucks!
Sometimes what looks like a "hole" can also be the frog shedding as well. I've asked my farrier about a similar oddity before and it was simply the frog shedding. Photos would help though.
Make sure when choosing a farrier that they don't say, "you can ride for a few days". No good trimming should limit riding for more than the rest of the day. Our farrier sends us right off after a trim, meaning our horses feet aren't sore unless you pull shoes. If your just getting a trim, or changing shoes, your horses feet should not be sore for "days" after.
Of course like mentioned above, this does not include pulling shoes.
Anyway, just my two cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom