My huge chick.....**pics** and questions??? New questions 4/4

dont you just love tsc,they did the same thing to me last year. it was even worse by the fact that the 2 meat birds we got were my 8 year old dd pick of the bunch. we explained to her about them being meat birds and the fact the werent going to have a quality of live. at eight weeks i was never so glad to be rid of an animals as i was those birds lol. but for the 8 weeks we kept them,we feed them,let them play outside and loved them. last night we bought 5 meat birds and everyone is prepared for what will come in the next few months. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Congratulations, you have a Cornish Rock. Because my local TSC mixed their 3 day old layer chicks in with their 3 day old meatie chicks
barnie.gif
, and because it was impossible to tell the difference in them at 3 days old
he.gif
, I have 3 chunky butts just like yours in my brooder right now.
hit.gif
One of mine (for sure a cockerel, I think) is so big that I've named him Bubba Gump.
tongue.png

You can see them here , but they've grown some since those pics were taken. I'll try to post updated pics of them later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is "Hoss"
lol.png
? Bubba Gump is 18 days old and doesn't have any tail feathers to speak of. Definitely not as many as your Hoss does, but he has a great big comb already. The 2 of mine that I think are pullets have tail feathers like your Hoss does, and they had them by 1 week of age.
fl.gif
that your Hoss is really a Big Bertha instead.
big_smile.png

They will outgrow their feathers and look aweful. They eat and poop so much you will not mind processing them. They will make a nice fryer at 6 to 8 weeks old. Very tasty too.

Quote:
I'm definitely starting to see all of the above now. Had to separate them from the other 5 today because they STINK the brooder up so bad with all their pooping. Bubba G has no feathers on his chest now. Holy cow, what difference just 4 days made in trying to figure out if mine were meaties or not!

Trying to psych myself up to be able to "process" my 3. I can do it... I can do it... I can do it... can I do it? Send some encouragement over here cause I'm nervous about doing it.

What are you going to do with yours, AN? At least you only have 1 to have to make the decision about!

nothing to it. It is all a state of mind. You clean quail and other things you hunt. We just fasted ours for 24 hrs and hung them up by their feet and cut their heads off so fast they didn't feel a thing. Dipped in hot water for a min and plucked away. YOu could skin them and save the plucking but my Grandkids like fryed chicken so we had a big chicken fry a few days later. I like to let mine chill good for a day or too or if you have many go ahead and freeze.

Back
Top Bottom