My Journey Hatching Calls!

Cecisflock

The Backyard Brahmas
Nov 19, 2020
Des Moines, Iowa
🦆I wanted to make a little journal of me hatching my call duck eggs! My girl Willow laid her very first egg with me (adopted at 2) on Sunday. I had seen her and Birch mating a lot so I figured why not incubate? So I bought a Nurture Right 360 at TSC and we are crossing those fingers for a baby!! The temperature is at 100.5 and my humidity is a stable 52%. Temp has been verified numerous times and surprisingly the bator is accurate! If Willow lays any more eggs we will be doing a staggered hatch with 2 incubators. One for incubation and one for hatch. Very excited!! Hopeful for another show quality white call.

Hi there and welcome to the addiction of hatching calls! :D

I’m not sure how humid it is in Iowa. If it isn’t extremely dry there, I would suggest removing all the water from the incubator. Let it run without any water and if it holds above 25%, candle in a week or so and see how the air cells are growing. And if it needs a little water, only fill the “A” (small center) port. I also use a NR360 for hatching, it has such a wonderful view!

Also, to avoid staggered hatches, you can save eggs for a week to ten days before starting them, then you can start multiple eggs at the same time.

Good luck! I’ll be watching your journey!

Humidity has gotten relatively high, is this ok for a small incubator? it was at a good 52% and is now at 58-59%...
Did you get it back down any? A lot of times my humidity will fluctuate. It has a lot to do with the humidity in your house. Whenever I mist my eggs every day the humidity jumps up to around 70% but comes back down fairly quickly.

Did you get it back down any? A lot of times my humidity will fluctuate. It has a lot to do with the humidity in your house. Whenever I mist my eggs every day the humidity jumps up to around 70% but comes back down fairly quickly.
Yes! I didn’t realize just how much water this incubator held, now we are figuring each other out.

One duckling hatched so far! 4 more to go!

Attachments

• 20220513_132918.jpg
    20220513_132918.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 2
Hi there and welcome to the addiction of hatching calls! :D

I’m not sure how humid it is in Iowa. If it isn’t extremely dry there, I would suggest removing all the water from the incubator. Let it run without any water and if it holds above 25%, candle in a week or so and see how the air cells are growing. And if it needs a little water, only fill the “A” (small center) port. I also use a NR360 for hatching, it has such a wonderful view!

Also, to avoid staggered hatches, you can save eggs for a week to ten days before starting them, then you can start multiple eggs at the same time.

Good luck! I’ll be watching your journey!
thank you! Iowa is not dry in summer, very humid actually, but it can get really dry in winter.

Back
Top Bottom