View attachment 2330564Penny the Frankenduck with Piper, the WH that @Magnolia Ducks gave us.Below is Charlie and I think Jack, below that is Thr Runner Rouen drake and last but not least are the parents.View attachment 2330565View attachment 2330566View attachment 2330568
They are soo cute! I was wondering, do you have chickens paired with your ducks? Because we were thinking of getting ducks and putting them with our chickens? Do you have any suggestions on that? I know that is off topic of this, but just wondering.

This is a duck newbie story!

Just so y’all know I am a very literal person. So, when I got ducklings everything I’d read said they had to have water with their feed. And I witnessed the little boogers take a bite of feed and immediately run to get a drink of water (and wash out 50% of the food in their mouths!)

Once I began letting them free range I really was worried about them not having water all over the yard. Of course there were all kinds of water tubs all over the chicken yard and down at the barn and on my deck, but that isn’t the direction the ducks took as they entered the big, green yard. They went the other way. So, I scrounged up two more water tubs and put them out that way. Life was good!

Problem was they started venturing farther and farther away! :eek: I honestly didn’t know what I was gonna do. I couldn’t provide water every 20 or so feet, so I didn’t. And I worried.

But what I observed was the ducks could eat and eat and eat without water after every bite. They would eat bugs and grass and more bugs again, and after a bit they would waddle/run to a water tub. It’s amazing that they are aware of the location of every single source of water on the property.

I don’t know the reason I thought I needed to share this, but I guess the moral of this story is 1) you can’t believe everything you read 2) ducks don’t always have to have water with their food and 3) my ducks know the layout of my yard better than my DH does.

:lau True story!!!

We've all been there @Mimi13 !!

This came back to me as I was wearily doing the rounds with the waterers early this morning.

My thing wasn't lots of waterers so much, more that I was a bit anxious that the water was clean.

You know, the sort of clean you could bottle, otherwise my precious babies could surely diiiiiiiieeeee.......... ???!?!!

Anyhoo, I was reminded of that this morning as I tipped the waterer over which made a sort of mud, old food and crappy water soup on the ground. I cleaned the waterer, scooped out all the 'gifts' they had left in there and released the dux !!

Out they speed waddled, straight past the clean water and to the icky puddle of muddy crap for a nice big long drink.

Dux know what they are doing !

Just look at my brooder-setup of this year: Food, Water, blank heat-pad and a freaking egg-carton as the duckling cave! - I can't believe how much time (and duck-tape) i invested into to »Building a Momma Heat Cave for Ducklings« last year. The ducklings are perfectly happy sitting on that heat-pad with a cardboard box over their little heads. If the heat-pad is full of poop, i rinse it down with the garden hose, if the cardboard-box is too poopy, i get another one out of the endless Amazing supply…
Compare that to the elaborate setup of last Spring:
full

I must have been crazy! - And of course the 'lings trashed their place within days! :lau
It's the same symptom as with fthe first kid and every other kid after that:
View attachment 2330021
As with the water: Ducks can overstuff themselves, remember the episode when my ducks ate too many grasshoppers, but that usually only happens to young and greedy ducks. Every morning Blanca Duck alone gulps down at least two scoops of cat-food without anything to drink. Then she kicks over the water bucket and guzzles it all up from the ground. Seriously: My ducks prefer to drink the dirtiest, ickiest water from wherever they can get it over a bowl with nice clean water. Clean water is only good for »corkscrewing«. :confused:
First off, I can’t believe you have your brooder set up on tables in your office. But after seeing this picture I better understand the story of the sweet potato poop stain! :lau

I will have to say my ducks did not use the heat plate like my chicks did. It was mostly used to sprawl out on. It put them a little higher so they could shoot poop a little higher on the kiddie pool wall and on the cardboard box I had placed behind the heat plate once I had to relinquish the entire bathroom to them. It also let them see past the brooder wall a bit better.

I’ll have to agree about dirty water. Mine would rather drink the water from the pool’s overflow as it runs through the yard and into a hole they dug. Silly ducks.

“Clean water is only good for »corkscrewing«.” This quote of yours couldn’t be truer!

:loveWhat a sweet drake! - I would never dare to try holding one of my grown ups like this: Blanca would immediately start ripping what little hair is left on my skull and eat it. Katharina Duck would just shred my ear and Limpy would likely have an "accident" on the other side… :sick
Maybe i can train some of the new ducklings to be more cuddly :confused:
Oh dear, I’m thankful I can hold mine, well some of them. Quinny and Peaches aren’t much for being picked up at all.

I guess I’m naive as to what damage a duck can do. I hold and hug them like they’re stuffed animals, with no thought of them hurting me. I suppose I’ll find out.

Not so fast! - There is still hope: For now everybody in that kiddie pool is peeping. I just chatted with Meyer Hatchery and they wrote me: »We typically band all sexed goslings but only male ducklings.« - So that means if none of the ducklings has a leg band they should all be females. (?)
Rats! Where is the fast forward button when you need it! In about 3-4 weeks we will know if there's another Ralphie Drake…
My Ralphie Dux did not have a band...because he was an accidental drake that was placed in the wrong bin. And I’m under the impression your 13th duckling wasn’t banded because they wanted to “sneak one over on you.” It would have been banded if you had ordered one. Who is Meyer/Metzer trying to fool? :lau

You must have a security light with a good ol' hot bulb! I have LED lights all around the house and despite thousands of insects flying around those, not many of them fall down. However, the little ducklings have turned into fly-hunting raptors! Due to the unavoidable duckling smell and the crazy amounts of fruit flies we have her this year, those fruit flies are attracted to the brooder and the little ones are getting better and better in catching 'em.
That security light is fairly new and it is a bright bright LED. I’m not so sure it’s a security light, but one for a mall parking lot that shines directly into my bathroom window.

Back
Top Bottom