My Makeshift Coop

Bearsfan

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Hannibal, MO
When I had my snowstorm disaster I made a makeshift coop out of a play yard and misc. materials I had laying around. Some folks were asking me to post pics and I hadn't gotten around to it until now.

Currently I put it together for a big girl brooder for my SLW's. It consists of a tarp on the floor with a play yard on top. Then I pull the tarp up the sides a ways so they don't kick out all of the bedding. I secure the tarp with zip ties. Then I put a cut piece of lattice that I had lying around on top and zip tied that. Some widow screens and wood scraps for weight on top, and presto! I has been a great little makeshift enclosure for me and I hope it inspires someone else who just needs a temporary housing for a few birds and doesn't want to spend a fortune. The bucket you see in the background is a waterer. I cut some holes with a hole saw bit in the side and there is a 2 quart plastic waterer on a couple of bricks inside it. That keeps the bedding ( and poop) out of the water.

So without any further ado I present my makeshift chicken pen.

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Outdoor coop has full grown LF girls in it. I would love to put the hens out there but they would get torn to shreds right now, they're just too small yet.

Two of the SLW's are boys and I'm not going to put them out there. One is going to a friend and the others fate is up in the air yet. Probably dinner though.
tongue.png

Hey now,
that is a great little, use what I got on hand, indoor coop/brooder. I might have to keep those plans in mind for the upcoming hurricane season and since I am in an evacuation area I would be required to leave and with your set up, the girls could follow me any where. Thanks for sharing and I do hope your restrations go well.

Back
Top Bottom