My mam wont let me have another rooster, read reson

If you decide you want another rooster you should check your local animal shelters to see if they have a poultry adoption program. I live in NH and there is a local SPCA in Massachusetts Nevins Farm that takes in roosters to place them for adoption. Right now they have alot of roosters available of all types and ages. Some very unique and beautiful! I can't say enough about their program. They were nice enough to take four roosters off my hands. I kept one for my coop but after reading this thread I wish I had tried to co-habit two as one of the ones I surrendered was one of my personal favorites. The lucky one we kept was my 5 year old sons favorite. I didn't know two could potentially co- habitat together and get along. Check any resources like this locally that you may have as any adoption center like this will always take back any animals that don't work out in your habitat.
wink.png

My two rooster were raised together as brooder mates. At age six months, they decided they hated each other, and they still try to kill each other a year later. I have to keep them away from each other or the blood flows.

Listen to your mother. When your old rooster dies, then you can get a new one. Be patient.

It depends on the rooster. I've had some get along, some not. Like a poster above, I had one old rooster fought to submission by his son. After he lost head roo position, he sulked in the nest boxes for two days and died a rather depressing death. As for housing, at the time I had multiple coops and ranged all birds freely in cleared acerage around the house. They could get away and even move into a different coop without a rooster if they chose to do so.

I would wait for your old boy to pass before getting a new one.

John, it depends entirely on the individual rooster and the breed aswell. I breed games - they're all my babies!
We raise them for their beauty. However, each and every rooster has to be seperated into different fencing
because it is in this breed's blood to fight 'till death.

I do believe you have 'barnyard' chickens, am I correct? As long as there is plenty of room and ladies, usually
you can have more than one rooster of these breeds live happily together. As said before, it depends entirely on the
individual bird. Some will spar off a few times, then go back to their normal lives. Some roosters just won't take another
rooster's crap. Have someone who can give the other rooster a good home if it doesn't work out. 10 hens per rooster is
recommended, also, be sure to quarantine the new bird and introduce him into the flock slowly. Good luck!

Ukiah

Last edited:
well honestley there feild is huge
i have:
7ex battery hens
1:cream legbar
2:barnyard mix's
1:ancona bantam
and two different sheds

oh and my rooster only accepts, 5 ex battery hens the other 2, cream legbar, ancona, amd barnyard mixes are rejected although hes growing on one of the barnyard mixes

I have 2 roos right now in my flock. they each have about 10 to 12 hens each. They do not fight but there is def a Alpha roo. They did their little squabble to see who was Alpha and now they do not mess with each other unless they try to mate the others hen and they have never really hurt each other either
So I doubt they would fight to the death.

Back
Top Bottom