My mom waste my eggs!

Quote:
There is a "float test" you can do for old eggs to see if they are still good. Search BYC for float test to find it if interested.

Yeah I know about the float test, but did the OP do one?

mom'sfolly :

You collect the eggs for eating, because unless it was either really old, or there was a broody sitting on it, the eggs were perfectly fine.

I have several hens who like "privacy" and hide their nests. They never go broody, they never sit, and I always start looking when my green egg count goes down. It will often take me a few days to find the nest. The eggs are fine.

My point is that if it was a hidden nest, you wouldn't know how old the eggs were, or if a broody had been sitting on them. My family isn't huge on the idea of eating my hens eggs, theres no way I would risk them opening up a bloody egg because I brought in one that "might" have been old. They'd never eat my eggs again. Same goes for the eggs I sell, my customers certainly don't want to be eating eggs that "might" be old.​

Blood is already present on the yolk at the time it's laid. An egg does not age, and then somehow get a blood spot. You have four options with a egg that has a blood spot.

1. throw it away, (what a waste)
2. Scramble the eggs, and feed them back to your flock. (I would cook them, I don't want my girls getting the taste for raw egg)
3. Use it yourself, (just pick the blood spot out, or not depending on your gross out factor)
4. Get rid of the hen that is laying the eggs with blood spots.

I wouldnt eat eggs off a "hidden" nest either, nor feed them to my animals..
hide.gif

Not worth the risk to me..

I wouldn't hesitate to use an egg with a bloodspot since those do not effect the quality or taste, yet we wouldn't be comfy eating eggs from a hidden nest since there's no telling how old they are, and most folks that are given eggs are not comfy with blood spots. Eggs are said to lose a whole grade each day when kept at "room" temp and we like our eggs at the highest grade possible and wouldn't give eggs to others if they are not of the highest grade. My mom was raised as a share-cropper in the depression era where every egg counted, and unless a hen was truly broody, hens that hid nests were top priority for the breakfast or supper stew pot. Do you have a way to candle? I'd keep the "defects" for myself and sell or give away the "perfect" eggs to those that can't handle less than perfect.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yep..blood spots wouldnt bother me.. (they'd get fed to the critters)
But hidden nest eggs?? Nope...

Post never said the eggs had a blood spot; said they had blood. It could have been a blood spot or from the beginnings of a developing chick. Candling would have detected either.

I don't think Op said hidden nest either. I keep my personal use eggs at room temp. till use. Every once in a while we get a funny egg (no blood just runny yolk) and we feed it to the dogs. I'm in Fl the temp is higher here. My girls free range with lots of garden scraps.
Edit to say we eat them for breakfast everyday.

Last edited:
Quote:
The OP did say "hidden nest" in the post, but, true, OP just stated "blood" and not blood "spots" specifically, but I perhaps incorrectly assumed it was a spot since that's fairly common to eggs...totally my bad if that wasn't the case.
smile.png
I live in Arizona where temps often hit extremes in every season (high 80's a week ago & now below freezing the last few nights in my area). I wouldn't chance eggs of unknown age...just not worth it.

Quote:
The OP did say "hidden nest" in the post, but, true, OP just stated "blood" and not blood "spots" specifically, but I perhaps incorrectly assumed it was a spot since that's fairly common to eggs...totally my bad if that wasn't the case.
smile.png
I live in Arizona where temps often hit extremes in every season (high 80's a week ago & now below freezing the last few nights in my area). I wouldn't chance eggs of unknown age...just not worth it.

x2
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom