My mutant chickie.........pics

I have a little self blue d'uccle with crossbeak. He's about 4 mos old, and eats pellets with the goats. I was feeding him chick starter in a deep dish, but now he just meets me at the gate waiting for me to feed the goats, and eats with them. I guess it's easier for him to eat the pellets. He came from one of my hens, so I know the egg wasn't x-rayed. But his wasn't that noticeable when he was just a chick. I didn't really notice it 'till he was a week old or so. It just got worse as time passed, but he's healthy otherwise.... and spoiled rotten.
smile.png
smile.png

I'd bet a bunch that it wasn't due to X-rays. The equipment the post office and TSA uses is pretty low energy - it usually won't even fog film unless you send it through multiple times.

I have a crossbeak Houdan. For him it was caused by an injury. He eats & drinks just fine. My dc named him Criss-Cross.
wink.png

My little sweetie died this morning.
sad.png
She was eating and drinking and seemed to be doing well......was active and playful. I honestly have no clue what caused her death. However, I assume that with the missing eye, too, there may have been issues that weren't visible. I am going to miss her.

I'm so sorry. I lost one during this hatch for no apparent reason, and had to put down one with similar defects as yours the hatch before this (no eyes, microcephalic head). Sending prayers along with both our babies. At least we gave them a fighting chance- that's the best anyone can hope for.

Daughter of Oldtimegator

So sorry for your baby. I don't know if x-rays caused it or not,but I bet it had something to do with the shipping process. Last year I had a few people report chicks hatching from my eggs like yours,no eyes,1 eye,cross beak. A vet told one person it was caused by x-rays so I started writing "Live Enmbryos Do Not X-Ray" on the box,and had no more reports. Same thing happened this year. I had 1 report of deformed chicks, put the warning back on the box and had no more reports. It just seems too coincidental that these deformities happen to so many different people getting different eggs. the common denominater is that they are shipped. I have hatched close to 200 of my own eggs and have never had any deformity other than a couple of curled toes which was probably an incubation problem and they straightened out within a day or two.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom