My new Barred Rock Rooster

Jody

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
Epping, NH
Just brought home today this 1yr old Barred Rock Rooster.

2i9in11.gif

My 3yr old daughter wants to name him Garfield.

I have more photos I may add shortly as well as a video.

Quote:
I love him.. He's a sweetheart.. well, that is, he was til he attacked my kid. I think he was provoked.. Other than that, he's very docile and likes to roost on my shoulders, lol. I can't integrated him into the flock as he was fighting with my barred rock hen through the fence. Stupid me thought it was some mating ritual and I was video taping it not realizing they were hurting each other til I saw blood at the base of their combs
sad.png

Was just watching the video and trying to post it

I hope and pray for my birds. I messed up.
sad.png

He's had contact with a hen while free ranging when he and the hen pecked each other. I should of exercised more caution and quarantined.. I hope all turns out ok.

Here's video of the roo and hen upon introduction.

Anyway, once I realized they were hurting each other's combs I stopped this and wrapped the run in burlap so they would not see each other and to prevent this pecking. I then built roo his house, which is nearby the hen's run. I guess I need to move it to the other side of the yard and keep roo in a run so he gets a full quarantine, but even then, how am I to know if all is ok to allow him free range, etc, etc.

He's a year old, or just under a year. If he was diseased, or sick, wouldn't it already show? same with my hens.. they're all anywhere from 1.5 to 2+ yrs

Here he is showing off to a hen
2vj6icw.jpg

Last edited:
I had to debate about posting a photo with myself in it, but whatever.. here's my roo on my shoulder, lol

44232_roo3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom