My new Barred Rock Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jody, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Jody

Jody Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Just brought home today this 1yr old Barred Rock Rooster.

[​IMG]

My 3yr old daughter wants to name him Garfield.

I have more photos I may add shortly as well as a video.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats! I love, love, love BR roosters! Just check out my avatar.

3. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    Quote:I love him.. He's a sweetheart.. well, that is, he was til he attacked my kid. I think he was provoked.. Other than that, he's very docile and likes to roost on my shoulders, lol. I can't integrated him into the flock as he was fighting with my barred rock hen through the fence. Stupid me thought it was some mating ritual and I was video taping it not realizing they were hurting each other til I saw blood at the base of their combs [​IMG]

Was just watching the video and trying to post it

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Then hens are telling him that he can't just swing in there and think he's king, LOL.

5. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I love his pose for the picture. Very manly. [​IMG]

6. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I hope and pray for my birds. I messed up. [​IMG]

He's had contact with a hen while free ranging when he and the hen pecked each other. I should of exercised more caution and quarantined.. I hope all turns out ok.

Here's video of the roo and hen upon introduction.

Anyway, once I realized they were hurting each other's combs I stopped this and wrapped the run in burlap so they would not see each other and to prevent this pecking. I then built roo his house, which is nearby the hen's run. I guess I need to move it to the other side of the yard and keep roo in a run so he gets a full quarantine, but even then, how am I to know if all is ok to allow him free range, etc, etc.

He's a year old, or just under a year. If he was diseased, or sick, wouldn't it already show? same with my hens.. they're all anywhere from 1.5 to 2+ yrs

Here he is showing off to a hen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  7. Jody

Nov 8, 2009
    Epping, NH
    I had to debate about posting a photo with myself in it, but whatever.. here's my roo on my shoulder, lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by