My old birds seem sick & one has a closed eye!!!

EchoChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
2 weeks ago I added 6 young hens (around 10 weeks old) to my flock of 5- 3 year olds (4 hens + 1 roo) I know I should not have added them before a quarantine, but hind site is 20 / 20! Well anyway, all was well until yesterday when my Buff Orp 3 year old started acting odd. Today she's acting odd + 1 eye is mostly closed, the rooster is crowing less, and the other Buff is acting odd too. The 2 - 3 year old Easter Eggers seem ok and laid yesterday but did not lay today. The young birds seem ok. I went to Tractor Supply & bought 20% Corid and put 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon of water in both their waterers.

I have not found much odd looking poo, but have found some that looks watery.

All birds are eating when I take something special & most (including the sickos) seemed to come drink when I brought out the new water.

What else should I do?

BTW, right after I brought the new ones home I posted that I thought one was sick, but I think she was just p-o'd about her new home, because her only symptom was sitting on the roost giving me the evil-eye+.

2 weeks ago I added 6 young hens (around 10 weeks old) to my flock of 5- 3 year olds (4 hens + 1 roo) I know I should not have added them before a quarantine, but hind site is 20 / 20! Well anyway, all was well until yesterday when my Buff Orp 3 year old started acting odd. Today she's acting odd + 1 eye is mostly closed, the rooster is crowing less, and the other Buff is acting odd too. The 2 - 3 year old Easter Eggers seem ok and laid yesterday but did not lay today. The young birds seem ok. I went to Tractor Supply & bought 20% Corid and put 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon of water in both their waterers.

I have not found much odd looking poo, but have found some that looks watery.

All birds are eating when I take something special & most (including the sickos) seemed to come drink when I brought out the new water.

What else should I do?

BTW, right after I brought the new ones home I posted that I thought one was sick, but I think she was just p-o'd about her new home, because her only symptom was sitting on the roost giving me the evil-eye+.
Sounds like you know what you are doing. Make sure they are eating and drinking. Make sure you treat all chickens for 5 days,do not give them any vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after. Medicated water should be the only water they drink, Other than watching for other symptoms,not much you can do until you have an idea of what you are dealing with.

Now I am up to 3 birds with 1 eye closed and swollen. The rest are ok, but the rooster is not crowing & they all seem slower than normal and congested. Does Corid do anything for a respiratory issue or should I switch to Tylan?

Uh oh, okay heres the deal. I have had this before in over 25 chickens. my older ones were immune to it but the rest got it. I went out 7 times a day and 3 times in the night to put drops in each of the chickens eyes, we also added (like you are) a powdery substance to there water. Out of the 21 that were sick only one died. You have to be dedicated and keep at it. I will reply again with what brands of things the vet gave us.

Thanks for your reply Moody Broody & I would love to know what you gave them. I have not put anything in their eyes yet. I hope they don't all get it! I have not found a vet that handles chickens nearby, so I would love to know what you used. Thanks so much

Okay my mom says you should call our vet clinic here and tell them what your chickens had and that Dr.Hartwell presscribed some eye drops and powder to mix into the chickens water when Bailey Garretson's Chickens had it. Your chickens now have ti and you want to know what to give them. here is our clinics number: 402- 685-5202 Call ask for Dr.Hartwell and tell him that I told you to call hiom and ask what to give for the symptoms your chickens have that my chickens had last year. Tell him that he gave me (Bailey Garretson) eye drops and a powder to put in there water. Then find it somewhere local to you! That is the best I can do as my mom needs me to do stuff for my dad tonight.

Back
Top Bottom