My paint silkie pullet has some weird poultry sinus infection!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jharper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Okay, so I came home one day to find my silkie pullet, she has a show in two weeks; well not anymore I reckon, she has something really contagious I do believe. I have been treating her with Tylan 50. 0.22-0.25 cc's daily since yesterday. I have pictures of her face. I will have to post them. Can anyone tell me what to do to make her better or should just get her out of her misery? I really want to keep her alive an healthy. Also, we just got over a huge rain deposit the past few months. It's been really hard trying to keep the pen dry. Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Photos would certainly help. Sinus infections are often symptoms of respiratory diseases, which Tylan should help treat. Improvement should be seen after 2-3 days of treatment; treat for 5 days. Make sure to alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Keep in mind, though, that if her infection is caused by a virus, antibiotics will have no effect. She may or may not recover on her own, so if Tylan doesn't work, you should consider culling her.

Also, if you haven't already, isolate her so she doesn't infect any other birds. Keep her warm, dry, and clean, and perhaps put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Try to minimize stressing her out as much as possible.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I spoke with a chicken doctor yesterday and he said I should give my sick bird tylan 2x a day. 5-7 days. He said this is fine to do.

4. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    She's gotten it so bad that we are going to have to put her down. We will be doing it Sunday afternoon. We are treating her with Tylan 50. We are going to keep treating her until then to see of she gets any better.
    [​IMG]
    We think she has mg by the way. She's separated from most of my birds. We don't have anything to separate her in.

5. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    do the 2x a day, same dose just more often. The doc who told me this is a chicken doc. I trust what he said. I gave mine 2 yesterday and will continue for a day or 2 until I think she's better.

Poor baby :(

6. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    We will see by Sunday, I reckon. So twice a day & .25cc per dose. I trimmed all the hair around her face so it won't get stuck and dry/crust up on her eyes. One eye is not mucky but swollen in the naval cavities. I'm working on getting the stuff off of her other eye. I'm trying my best not to hurt her.

7. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Yes, that's what I'm doing. 2x a day, he said it is like taking meds 2 or 3x a day, it stays in the system better.

I hope it helps. That should be 2 extra doses by Sunday. My silkie has mareks and it's sad.

VetRx might help with her breathing?

8. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    We think she has MG. :(

9. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    what is mg? i can't remember