My paint silkie pullet has some weird poultry sinus infection!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Jharper

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
Tifton, Ga
Okay, so I came home one day to find my silkie pullet, she has a show in two weeks; well not anymore I reckon, she has something really contagious I do believe. I have been treating her with Tylan 50. 0.22-0.25 cc's daily since yesterday. I have pictures of her face. I will have to post them. Can anyone tell me what to do to make her better or should just get her out of her misery? I really want to keep her alive an healthy. Also, we just got over a huge rain deposit the past few months. It's been really hard trying to keep the pen dry. Anything will be helpful, thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Photos would certainly help. Sinus infections are often symptoms of respiratory diseases, which Tylan should help treat. Improvement should be seen after 2-3 days of treatment; treat for 5 days. Make sure to alternate the side of the breast that you inject into, as Tylan can make the injection area sore. Keep in mind, though, that if her infection is caused by a virus, antibiotics will have no effect. She may or may not recover on her own, so if Tylan doesn't work, you should consider culling her.

Also, if you haven't already, isolate her so she doesn't infect any other birds. Keep her warm, dry, and clean, and perhaps put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Try to minimize stressing her out as much as possible.

Last edited:
She's gotten it so bad that we are going to have to put her down. We will be doing it Sunday afternoon. We are treating her with Tylan 50. We are going to keep treating her until then to see of she gets any better.

We think she has mg by the way. She's separated from most of my birds. We don't have anything to separate her in.

Last edited:
do the 2x a day, same dose just more often. The doc who told me this is a chicken doc. I trust what he said. I gave mine 2 yesterday and will continue for a day or 2 until I think she's better.

Poor baby :(

Last edited:
do the 2x a day, same dose just more often.  The doc who told me this is a chicken doc.  I trust what he said.  I gave mine 2 yesterday and will continue for a day or 2 until I think she's better.  

Poor baby :(

We will see by Sunday, I reckon. So twice a day & .25cc per dose. I trimmed all the hair around her face so it won't get stuck and dry/crust up on her eyes. One eye is not mucky but swollen in the naval cavities. I'm working on getting the stuff off of her other eye. I'm trying my best not to hurt her.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. 2x a day, he said it is like taking meds 2 or 3x a day, it stays in the system better.

I hope it helps. That should be 2 extra doses by Sunday. My silkie has mareks and it's sad.

VetRx might help with her breathing?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom