My rooster’s face is covered in tumors

mrhoodie

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2016
California
My rooster’s face is covered in tumors. I’m not sure how to treat it. He is such a nice and lovely boy, he needs help, it is starting to impede his vision in one eye.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1506.jpeg
    IMG_1506.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1507.jpeg
    IMG_1507.jpeg
    703.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 19
Have you nicked one of the lesions to detect a blood supply inside? That would confirm they are cancer tumors. If you nick a lesion and water comes out, then it's more likely to be a cyst. If a waxy pus pushed out, then the lesions are probably infected. It's important to verify what you're dealing with. The latter two possibilities are treatable.

How long has he had these? Were mosquitoes active at the time you first noticed the lesions?

Have you nicked one of the lesions to detect a blood supply inside? That would confirm they are cancer tumors. If you nick a lesion and water comes out, then it's more likely to be a cyst. If a waxy pus pushed out, then the lesions are probably infected. It's important to verify what you're dealing with. The latter two possibilities are treatable.

How long has he had these? Were mosquitoes active at the time you first noticed the lesions?
I will try that. Are you thinking he has fowlpox, with the mosquito question?

I'm thinking it could be a possibility if mosquitoes have been part of the equation. Pox is hideous and can be very uncomfortable for the chicken afflicted with it, but almost always, it resolves on its own in a few weeks. Therefore, another question is how long has he had the lesions? If they've remained relatively unchanged for multiple weeks now, then it's more likely not pox.

I would suspect that he has skin cancer. Squamous cell carcinoma is common in chickens and can be found on the neck and face, and on other parts of the body. It can be normal for more than one tumor to appear. If he seems in pain or having problems getting around, the best thing would be to put him down.
No, it turns out he most likely has fowlpox. He can recover. There is no need to euthanize him.

I'm thinking it could be a possibility if mosquitoes have been part of the equation. Pox is hideous and can be very uncomfortable for the chicken afflicted with it, but almost always, it resolves on its own in a few weeks. Therefore, another question is how long has he had the lesions? If they've remained relatively unchanged for multiple weeks now, then it's more likely not pox.
It appeared all of sudden. Maybe a few days ago, I didn’t really notice until today. After reading up on it and consulting with a friend who also experienced fowlpox I’m almost positive that’s what it’s it is. There was a lot of mosquito larva in buckets we’ve had a lot of rain.

Do any other birds have lesions or scabs? I initially thought of fowl pox, because of the comb lesions, but I have never seen lesions that large on grown chickens. I still lean towards it being cancer, but hopefully not. Time will tell. Please let us know if others get scabs, and if this one recovers. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom