My Rooster Lost His Wing **Graphic Photos****

Anndan

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2015
Upland, CA
Hey everyone.. This morning at around 5 AM my coop got ransacked by a raccoon. Two days before this my backyard was attacked by 2 bears, I lost 3 hens and 15 pullets/cockerels I had been raising. My coop doors were destroyed from the bear so I was keeping my birds in the very very sturdy chain link run that is lined with hardware cloth. Somehow.. Even through all this a raccoon (or something, im not 100% sure) was reaching through the links and pulled on of my easter egger girls to pieces and killed her.. I'm pretty sure my rooster was trying to protect her and ended up losing a wing in the process. He is up and walking around, rather shocked and sleepy, still eating and drinking, and seems OK but the wound is pretty bad. The blood seemed to clot okay in the past couple hours, I am just unsure about how to clean the wound and care for him to help him survive this event.. I can provide pictures if needed, thanks for your help.

ok first clean off all the dirt and blood with a very slightly soapy rag you can put peroxide on it if you wish remove him IMMEDIATELY from the flock he is most likely in shock and will get picked at give him water with electrolytes and food treats even if it means he will eat make sure he drinks the water dip his beak if necessary i like to use Save-A-Chick if able to but anything with electrolytes will work even Gatorade

Of course taking him to a vet would be the best thing, but if you can't do that, just get it clean. Note that peroxide is not a very good cleaner.

-Kathy

Thank you for the tips everyone. We washed the wound out thoroughly with water and a bit of diluted dawn soap. Put neosporin on the wound, there is a bit of bone I believe splintering out of the wound. This is a major cause of concern for me, but he is acting like a trooper through it all. It is now bandaged with gauze and another wrap of fabric around his body for good measure. He is in a carrier inside the house in a cool (but not too cool) room.. I am hoping he makes it through, he is an amazing rooster and is only 7 months old. I would take him to the vet if I could but there aren't many chicken vets nearby.. Or could I even afford one. We will try anything we can to help him get through this.

It might heal okay.
fl.gif
that it does!

-Kathy

When you change the bandage, be sure to remove or trim all feathers about 1" away from the wound.

-Kathy
Just trim them with scissors? He's still alive and seems to be breathing alright. Just resting and sleeping. When I re do his bandage tomorrow do I clean it again or just apply neosporin? Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom