My rooster's leg is green! Infection?

I don't believe you have to. I would do this, soak and apply, then check next day. I normally go every other day or even up to 4 days. Depending on how everything looks and is reacting to treatment. If you can it might be a better idea for you to find the decolorizes iodine so you can watch coloring. Either will work, but instead of having to figure out color changes with regular iodine, this would be the way to go. WalMart has it fairly cheap.

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not...is there heat in this leg? As in warmer than the other. Have you checked your birds for mites and lice? Not saaying they are there but it is something to check for while you're treating this guy. The redness around the feather folicles makes me wonder.

None of my chickens has had parisites in all these years, and his scales are flat and look healthy. He is in the middle of molt and losing a ton of feathers, growing new ones. His legs are probably red because of that. The two legs feel equally warm.

I have Betadine. That should work, shoudn't it?

The green has all but gone from Penrod's leg. It could be a coincidence, but perhaps it is an infection and the antibiotic is working. His appetite isn't great, but he's eating. some meal worms, a few bits of tomato, and a few nibbles of corn. He still can't stand. I'm keeping on with the aspirin and antibiotic.

None of my chickens has had parisites in all these years, and his scales are flat and look healthy. He is in the middle of molt and losing a ton of feathers, growing new ones. His legs are probably red because of that. The two legs feel equally warm.

I have Betadine. That should work, shoudn't it?
As a wash, yes as anti-infective...not so much. You can pick up the colorless iodine right at a WalMart for cheap. It's a 2% solution even though it doesn't say so on the bottle. I actually spoke with the company that puts it out and got the info right from them.

The green has all but gone from Penrod's leg. It could be a coincidence, but perhaps it is an infection and the antibiotic is working. His appetite isn't great, but he's eating. some meal worms, a few bits of tomato, and a few nibbles of corn. He still can't stand. I'm keeping on with the aspirin and antibiotic.
Just in case, I, myself, would still give the topical of the iodine. This way you hit from two different directions and what one might miss, the other will get. I'm not there so I can't 'see' you will have to decide what course to take with him. I'm glad the leg looks better today! that's great!

Something tells me this rooster has a broken leg and isn't going to be walking any time soon. Is there a way to vet-wrap the leg to keep it from getting re-injured when I handle him? I fear I'm going to keep his leg from healing by the way I have to drag him out from his crate to go outside to poop. And when I put him back in, his leg gets rougher handling than I can help.

He really acts like he's very weary of this. His appetite isn't all that great, and his poop is showing considerable bile. He can't drink normally, and I'm trying my best to keep him hydrated with a syringe. This is very, very tiring for us both.

If you think his leg is broken you will need to check it and see where the bone ends are. If the bone is whole and just cracked, you can take some something like popsicle sticks and wrap them with guaze and a outside layer of vet wrap. Position them so there would be no loss of normal movement of the leg such as roosting. Use the vet wrap to hold these in place on the legs, firmly but not so tight that you would be cutting off circulation. Vet wrap is esentially an ace bandage, if you've ever had one of those wrapped too tightly, you'll know what I'm saying. Then it's time.

Penrod is not getting better. Whether his leg is fractured is beginning to be a moot point. He now has what appears to be infections on other parts of his body. His rump is bright read, and it's bordered by white skin, so it's apparent it's an infection. Also, the skin is red at the base of most of his feather shafts where pin feathers are erupting. He's also starting to have trouble breathing.

I think it's time to put an end to his suffering.

And I just noticed his foot is much thicker, swollen, than the left foot.

I'm totally mystified as to what's wrong, and what to do, and if he has any chance of getting better. What a hard decision. If I only knew if he had a chance, I wouldn't euthanize him, but if he isn't going to recover and be a normal roo again, I'd much rather put an end to his suffering.

Last edited:
Penrod is not getting better. Whether his leg is fractured is beginning to be a moot point. He now has what appears to be infections on other parts of his body. His rump is bright read, and it's bordered by white skin, so it's apparent it's an infection. Also, the skin is red at the base of most of his feather shafts where pin feathers are erupting. He's also starting to have trouble breathing.

I think it's time to put an end to his suffering.

And I just noticed his foot is much thicker, swollen, than the left foot.

I'm totally mystified as to what's wrong, and what to do, and if he has any chance of getting better. What a hard decision. If I only knew if he had a chance, I wouldn't euthanize him, but if he isn't going to recover and be a normal roo again, I'd much rather put an end to his suffering.
What ever you decide, please have a necropsy done on this bird. I haven't had a lot of time to research this for you and I'm sorry. A lot of things come to mind with the symptoms, but you will need to have results from a necropsy to see if your other birds are at risk. Please get one done. Most of the time they are not expensive at all. Contact your State Vet's office if you do not have a Vet you normally go to. My first thoughts are that something has gone septic and maybe it was caused by a bite from something. I could be totally off the wall with this, but symptoms and the pictures tell a story that is not boding well for this bird. Whether or not it was a bite from something or a disease....I cannot tell you now. The only thing I can think of is switch antibiotics to something stronger like Tylan injectable and inject it. So not try to do it orally, this is too serious.

Back
Top Bottom