My Silkie chicks hate me!

that is so cool, how many people can say they have a litter trained chicken?! i love her coloring and it amazes me eveyday how smart silkies are! your so lucky!
love.gif

that is so cool, how many people can say they have a litter trained chicken?! i love her coloring and it amazes me eveyday how smart silkies are! your so lucky!
love.gif
Thank you :)

I think with time and attention Silkies can do just about anything she is more social with the cats than she is with us but they adapt to their environment and what they are exposed to. She gets daily grooming she tolerates us combing her she really only fusses if she isn't in the mood to be touched. But she is a yr old so it will take young chicks a little while to get to that point. The way we start all chicks is we put our hands in their brooder just keep it still cause movement startles them its their instinct to run when something moves lol I have seen them scare them selves with their own shadows.

Eventually they will get use to your hand there if they see you do this over and over again.

Then you can also put treats like boiled eggs in your hand and just lay it there let them get use to that, then slowly touch them and keep progressing till your to the point of petting them. From the day they come out of the eggs we are handling the ones we hatch here .

I have this same exact problem!! I have 4 silkies almost a week old and they run and yell in terror even when I just enter the room let alone when I try to pet them or pick them up. And today I tried treats with no luck. Did your silkies ever come around and be a little calmer?

I have this same exact problem!! I have 4 silkies almost a week old and they run and yell in terror even when I just enter the room let alone when I try to pet them or pick them up. And today I tried treats with no luck. Did your silkies ever come around and be a little calmer?

Sort of. They let me touch them but they don't like it when I pick them up. When they're in their coop I can pet them but they don't like it much. When they are in the run or free ranging, they run away if I come up to them.

wow i never knew chickens and cats could like each other!My chickens and cat have a stand off every day thinking "what is that repulsive thing?"
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom