My troubled hen

Chrissa

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2017
I have a gen who was fine Friday. We went out of town and got home Sunday. Her tail feathers go up like a turkey every time she takes a step. She doesn't roost the last two nights. Her balance is off. I saw this when she ran to me but couldn't stop herself and fell forward. She just lays down. She walks though. She isn't lethargic. Eats and poops. Butt looks fine (easy to see due to her feathers). There's no weird smells. She doesn't stay with her group anymore but she doesn't shy away from them. I found no signs of trauma and there hasn't been any picking. Any ideas? None of the diseases or illnesses I've read on seem to match her symptoms.

It's not windy out and they go up with every step. She lays in a straw bed instead of roosting with the others. There's one rooster who watches over them. She doesn't stay in the nest. Goes outside in the morning but stays off to herself. When I come with treats she's right up there with the others.

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Is she off balance when she normally walks?
Is she drinking and eating?
Her crop full at night and empty in the morning?
Is she pooping?

Does she cluck with every step too? I wonder if she is broody - is her poop enormous?

When you approach her or if she is laying down - does she flatten out and make a growling/screeching noise at you?

Is she off balance when she normally walks? No, when she is walking and not rushing she walks normal, only her tail feathers go up (like a turkey) with every step.

Is she drinking and eating? She is eating. She comes over when I go in the coop to see if I have treats and she does eat them when I do. I also saw her pecking but not all the way over on the ground, it was at a weed that was at her level. I have not seen her drink.

Her crop full at night and empty in the morning? I had to google this. I don't know. I don't know if it is full at night or empty in the morning. I watched a you tube video on how to empty it and how to check it. I will check it in the morning.

Is she pooping? Yes, I was witness to a poop and it was enormous. I picked her up to check for wounds or pain and she seemed uncomfortable and wanted down. I put her back down and she just stood there and then pooped a huge poop. Then she layed down for awhile. Next time I checked she was back out in the yard (coop).

Does she cluck with every step too? I wonder if she is broody - is her poop enormous? She does not cluck. The girls are pretty quiet. The rooster is loud and the ducks are vocal. She doesn't holler at me or ***** at me. Very mellow. Impressive poop. I only saw the one.

When you approach her or if she is laying down - does she flatten out and make a growling/screeching noise at you? She doesn't. She just lays there and then walks off (with the tail feathers raising with every step)

Thank you for input. I didn't even know about the crop thing.

Just feel the crop at night to make sure it's full or has food in it. Then check her first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat or drink - it should be flat feeling or empty.

I would not recommend that you "vomit" her unless she has a crop problem (full crop in the morning, sour smelling breath, etc.), you risk her choking.

Is she laying eggs?

It wasn't a crop thing. Took her in but the vet didn't really know. I'm not doing blood/stool tests. She's not walking now but flops on her side. I took her home to spoil her till she quits eating/drinking and pooping. She's alert and has strength in her legs. (A lot of strength) she's underweight and they figured something viral that she's been fighting for awhile. I did make her drink some apple vinegar with water. She moves to poop so I haven't had to clean her up at all. She's not in pain.

Back
Top Bottom