Mystery goose illness

Janexsays

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2021
My african goose, female, little over a year old is....off. She started molting about 2 weeks ago, still is mid way through. I noticed she looked smaller about 4 days ago, then 2 days ago I realized she wasn't eating. I think shes lost a few pounds, keel is very obviously felt. She is acting a little more lethargic than normal but not too much. I separated her and her boyfriend from the rest of the flock 2 days ago. The rest of the flock is very healthy looking and active. On physical exam her beak, mouth and what I can see of the inside of her throat are all unremarkable. Vent/cloaca area looks/feels good and her crop is empty. Her stool is clear/white-ish liquid that absorbs into the ground with out leaving a trace. She will eat small amounts of mealworms and is still drinking. I got hydro-hen, an electrolyte supplement, and shes had that for 3 days now. I'm going to pick up panacure tonight for a deworming. It has been very hot in my area lately, getting up to around 90 degrees farenheit during the day. I'm not sure if this is heat related or molt related or if she is just plain sick. This is my first time with a medical type goose problem

Welcome to BYC. Is a vet an option?
I'm trying to avoid it just because I know it will be stressful for them, I have been texting with my friend who is a vet but new to geese, so shes not sure what's going on yet either. Just hoping someone has been through this before.

We took an x-ray, everything seems fine. Shes going to get bloodwork and another xray tomorrow. She seems a little stronger, but I'm noticing the mouth movements and neck stretch so maybe some gape worm?
Buttons_Branagan_40-20210826130939172-0-original.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom