Naked Neck/Turken Thread

I'm expecting large (already as big as the chicks that are over a week and he hatched about 6 days ago, so a few days difference, but still a big one). He might keep the Phoenix pattern, but it's a different shade than I'm used to. Bit his mom is a Calico Princess, so who knows what she passed down. Last chick she had she passed down her giant comb, giant size and a black gene, which made blue when I crossed to my blue rooster by accident.
Cool

The 2 NN/Aloha chick's in my brooder that hatched on May 10th seem to be doing well. I have 5 more of that girl's egg's in my incubator that are due to hatch on June 5th. I have a split hatch going on that incudes hatching egg's that I got from a couple other Arizona people that have been working with the Aloha's also. That way I will have more genetics to work with that won't be too closely related in going forward with my project.
The Alohas are cool

Anyone working on fibro naked necks? Planning next year to introduce a mosaic to my NN (haven't decided which sex for which yet) and maybe get some dark skinned ones
We plan to add NN soon to the flock, hopefully we can then start a cross breeding project down the road... we have 100% black hens, they just need a boy friend. The current chicks on order do not include NN... I should recheck the hatcheries see if I can add. I know for sure an Egyptian cock is in one order. Several breeds are SR, but those are also light or bantam breeds except the Saipan... so until the orders arrive and I can start to see for sure what we have I won’t know for sure what I need. Outside of two breeds NN and Silkies we want to fiddle with. I may just order hatching eggs again of a couple breeds. Amazing though none of the Black Swedish or Ayams we hatched last year (hatch rate was supper low) resulted in a roo. Just a couple Pullets.

We plan to add NN soon to the flock, hopefully we can then start a cross breeding project down the road... we have 100% black hens, they just need a boy friend. The current chicks on order do not include NN... I should recheck the hatcheries see if I can add. I know for sure an Egyptian cock is in one order. Several breeds are SR, but those are also light or bantam breeds except the Saipan... so until the orders arrive and I can start to see for sure what we have I won’t know for sure what I need. Outside of two breeds NN and Silkies we want to fiddle with. I may just order hatching eggs again of a couple breeds. Amazing though none of the Black Swedish or Ayams we hatched last year (hatch rate was supper low) resulted in a roo. Just a couple Pullets.
What hatchery? I'm sure most would be more than willing to add males of any breed honestly

Cackle and Meyers... I will give them a jingle in the AM tomorrow and see if I can add a chick or two an order. I do have incubators so hatching eggs are an option. We ordered a male of this breed...
45BC5970-0E95-416C-BA02-04EC721ACF6D.jpeg

And here is a sample photo of the Black hens we have...
9A426B3E-5137-40B1-866E-6C852C81EE4B.jpeg

they are just a bit larger than our Phoenix hens. So a small light breed type. The few hens we have left are the ones that thieves couldn’t catch... too flighty and not friendly like our heavy breeds and the other bantams (yes they stole both)... jerks stole most of our birds, including stunning young cockerels we were going to breed pure Phoenix with. So rebuilding... people were freaking out thinking the food trucks were not going to come to the grocery stores and we got raided. So just our ”stranger danger” freak out crazy fly away I hate human hens left... the roosters of all our breeds were all friendly goofs except one (he took on a hawk after the theft and lost his life) and the other hens either friendly so wouldn’t run away or large non flyer types. The two hens in my profile were 5 and laid beautiful blue eggs they got stolen and we had them forever. Pandemic Panic wiped us out. We had Marans too, all gone.

Anyway note the near black eye of the Egyptian, I definitely want to do some cross breeding (assuming the hatchery chicks have black eyes) to see if I can introduce that black eye into my planned Green Egg Layer project. NN laying line would be a hoot.

The Black hens lay a light brown egg a bit larger than the Pheonix.

Last edited:
Cackle and Meyers... I will give them a jingle in the AM tomorrow and see if I can add a chick or two an order. I do have incubators so hatching eggs are an option. We ordered a male of this breed...View attachment 2678623
And here is a sample photo of the Black hens we have...
View attachment 2678627
they are just a bit larger than our Phoenix hens. So a small light breed type. The few hens we have left are the ones that thieves couldn’t catch... too flighty and not friendly like our heavy breeds and the other bantams (yes they stole both)... jerks stole most of our birds, including stunning young cockerels we were going to breed pure Phoenix with. So rebuilding... people were freaking out thinking the food trucks were not going to come to the grocery stores and we got raided. So just our ”stranger danger” freak out crazy fly away I hate human hens left... the roosters of all our breeds were all friendly goofs except one (he took on a hawk after the theft and lost his life) and the other hens either friendly so wouldn’t run away or large non flyer types. The two hens in my profile were 5 and laid beautiful blue eggs they got stolen and we had them forever. Pandemic Panic wiped us out. We had Marans too, all gone.

Anyway note the near black eye of the Egyptian, I definitely want to do some cross breeding (assuming the hatchery chicks have black eyes) to see if I can introduce that black eye into my planned Green Egg Layer project. NN laying line would be a hoot.

The Black hens lay a light brown egg a bit larger than the Pheonix.

Sorry that they stole some of your chicken's. They might not steal the Naked Neck's though, because most people think that they are ugly.

Since you said that you had another one that had the scissor-beak, it could be a genetic thing? I wouldn't let a scissor-beak breed, if it could pass on those genes.

I wouldn't breed it either.

I have a special need pekin cockerel. a rat broke a big part of his lower beak. it has a horrible shape. but the cockerel is so happy to be alive, he runs around, fights for food with the other chicks so I will let him live.

Back
Top Bottom