Naked Neck/Turken Thread

6855AC28.jpg

They are so adorable!!!!!! Where did you get them from??

Aren't they so cute with their little fuzzy heads and bare necks?! lol

Here is my little naked neck Dark Cornish x Showgirl that just hatched out.

I just threw some Dark Cornish pullets in with my Showgirl roosters to see what I would get.
This is the only one out of three to be naked neck. Since it has light skin instead of dark, I guess it is a cockerel
since the dark skin gene is sex linked. I had one to hatch out just like this one but it has dark skin and was not
naked neck.
Mark

Mark- that's a rather interesting cross LOL Would love to see progress pictures of this guy.

I did want to say that black skin is not sex linked. That misinformation does keep coming up and doesn't help it's still printed as such on a silkie website last time I looked at it.

The actual story is that black skin is affected by several genes that are sex linked- sex linked barring/cuckoo and Id (Inhibitor of Dermal pigmentation) are the most common ones that affect black skin. Both genes actively repress skin pigmentation causing genetic dark skins to have either much paler or even totally normal looking skin.

Your mating was of a dark skin roo mated with dark cornish hens. That is a sex linked mating because cornish have Id (silkies and showgirls don't have it). So the result is all cockerels get Id and pullets don't get Id. If the showgirl rooster is pure for dark skin then ALL of the chicks of both sexes got the dark skin gene.. however the cockerels got Id from their cornish mothers- result is lighter skin on cockerels.

So it(black skin) will *seem* sex linked but it's all down to Id, not dark skin being sex linked, with Id 'repressing' the dark skin on the cockerels.

btw- Id is exactly why cornish have yellow legs instead of willow. Yellow legs are a result of yellow body skin and an absence of a pigmented layer in leg skin, leaving the legs a clear yellow. If they didn't have Id, the yellow skin combined with this leg pigmentation would make visually willow legs.

flower I won't be able to make it to the Norco meeting.. will be out of town this weekend. EDIT: I may be going.

Last edited:
Kev,
One of the chicks that hatched out from the Dark Cornish cross had the dark skin, willow legs, but not naked neck.
The Cornish hen only layed 4 eggs when I put her in with the Showgirl rooster. Aparently one of my Sumatra bantam roosters
got to the Cornish hen before I put her in with the Showgirl rooster. It hatched out almost solid black with black legs. I have
the last egg to hatch out on the 9th this month. I sold my Dark Cornish pullets so I won't have any more chicks from this cross.
I have 2 Sumatra bantam hens in with my Showgirl rooster. I want to create a purple skin, naked neck Sumatra out of this cross.
My Sumatra pullets are not helping any though. They have not layed the first egg yet. They are the only pullets that I hatched this
year that have not layed any eggs. I will post pictures of that cross whenever I get some eggs to hatch from them.
Mark

Those would be very beautiful birds. I'm seriously interested in how your showgirl x sumatra crosses turn out.

Multiple spurs is supposed to be dominant- if you want to verify the parentage, check the legs for the scales that become spurs later. not necessary if they are completely clean legged and don't have extra toes either, I guess.... (this is in case you have white showgirl roos. they can be genetically black and throw black chicks...)

That one chick has to be a pullet- she didn't get Id from her cornish mother- willow legs. I'm also interested in follow up on whether her legs stay willow or darken with age.

Back
Top Bottom