Need advice/help/experiences,Pekin female cough/voice changes now

Yea they are capsules, will be mixing with lil water and then putting it on bread,thats how i was doing tylan

I just thought 300mg a day was kinda high for a 6 in a half pound duck. Is that about right? Very expensive med too

I just thought 300mg a day was kinda high for a 6 in a half pound duck. Is that about right? Very expensive med too
This chart breaks it down this way, 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water for 5-7 days

I use bread as a medium for giving meds too.

I guess all you can do it trust this vet knows what she's talking about.

Its been a week today since we seen the vet. Its hard to tell whether doxycycline is working or not, she is still coughing. She still bobs her tail just a little bit, We are supose to do this antibiotic for 45 days! Wouldnt this antibiotic show more improvement by now? Its given 2x a day, I mean she quacks alot more so thats an improvement but her coughing can get severe at times when shes too excited, and these antibiotics are very expensive at the vets. Already cost me 75 bucks for 2 wk supply. Im not sure how I can afford to use this another 3wks! But overall Pebbles is still here and thats all that matters to me,I just wish her coughing would disappear

Its been a week today since we seen the vet. Its hard to tell whether doxycycline is working or not, she is still coughing. She still bobs her tail just a little bit, We are supose to do this antibiotic for 45 days! Wouldnt this antibiotic show more improvement by now? Its given 2x a day, I mean she quacks alot more so thats an improvement but her coughing can get severe at times when shes too excited, and these antibiotics are very expensive at the vets. Already cost me 75 bucks for 2 wk supply. Im not sure how I can afford to use this another 3wks! But overall Pebbles is still here and thats all that matters to me,I just wish her coughing would disappear
Okay i am not a vet but I have never heard of using an antibiotic for 45 days. On the med chart I have from Twin City poultry is shows for Doxycycline 1teas per 1 gal of water for 5-7 days for Paratyphoid for 21 days. I believe I'd call and question the 45 days. As far as the coughing I don't know, that needs to be mentioned when you call the vet also, but glad to hear she is quacking more so that must mean some improvement which is good.

I'm glad she is doing better. I have never heard of doing any antibiotics for 45 days. What exactly is the point? To prevent reinfection? They only time I have ever heard of long term antibiotic use is with recurrent UTI's. We are having that issue with one of my dogs and we still haven't don't anything more than 14 days. I'm also a pharmacy tech and I have yet to see a prescription for antibiotics for anything close to that long. I would see about getting a second opinion if possible even if it is just a call to another vet. I would also call your back and see why she needs to be on them for that long and when you should expect to see improvement.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am not a vet and have no medical background. This is not medical advice.

Now, I have never seen a recommendation for the use of an antibiotic beyond 10 days except for a prescribed second round of treatment for an additional 10 days. The only exception to this that I could find is if you are traveling in an active malaria area where treatment is recommended every day and for a period thereafter. I would absolutely seek a second opinion as to the treatment your vet has suggested. It seems that after 45 days of antibiotic treatment your duck would have little, if any, immune defence remaining and would be susceptible to any number of additional infections.

Since antibiotics may destroy any probiotics in your duck you should probably add probiotics to her diet for the treatment period. The easiest way to do this is to offer her plain, unsweetened, unflavored yogurt which is full of probiotics. I actually offer all my birds yogurt at least once a week and most of them love it.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet and have no medical background. This is not medical advice.

Now, I have never seen a recommendation for the use of an antibiotic beyond 10 days except for a prescribed second round of treatment for an additional 10 days. The only exception to this that I could find is if you are traveling in an active malaria area where treatment is recommended every day and for a period thereafter. I would absolutely seek a second opinion as to the treatment your vet has suggested. It seems that after 45 days of antibiotic treatment your duck would have little, if any, immune defence remaining and would be susceptible to any number of additional infections.

Since antibiotics may destroy any probiotics in your duck you should probably add probiotics to her diet for the treatment period. The easiest way to do this is to offer her plain, unsweetened, unflavored yogurt which is full of probiotics. I actually offer all my birds yogurt at least once a week and most of them love it.

Best of luck and keep us updated.
Good advise as always. Yes probiotics are a must when taking antibiotics, The only members of the flock here who likes yogurt are my chickens, I bought probiotics in power form to give to everyone. But yes she should be getting some in some form.

Good advise as always. Yes probiotics are a must when taking antibiotics, The only members of the flock here who likes yogurt are my chickens, I bought probiotics in power form to give to everyone. But yes she should be getting some in some form.
My chickens like their yogurt plain in a little dish. The ducks and geese like their mixed with a healthy dose of cracked corn. There are any number of powdered probiotics available as well ranging from about 10 dollars and up as well as yogurt powder which you can get at most health food stores and various places online that can be mixed with their feed if they are picky.

My chickens like their yogurt plain in a little dish. The ducks and geese like their mixed with a healthy dose of cracked corn. There are any number of powdered probiotics available as well ranging from about 10 dollars and up as well as yogurt powder which you can get at most health food stores and various places online that can be mixed with their feed if they are picky.
I had to laugh, do you also have to drape a white towel over your arm when serving it it them in their lil dish?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom