Need advice on a rooster with no legs

I like that idea. I think attaching it may be the big challenge. It needs to be tight enough to support his weight without sliding down where the stump is rubbing. Hmmmmm

:rolleyes:
Wrap his leg in vet wrap first and put cotton balls or memory foam in the tip to pad under his stump, and them wrap the whole thing (splint and up the leg) in vet wrap to secure it and give him some grip? I liked that the splint itself had some padding already in it.

Wrap his leg in vet wrap first and put cotton balls or memory foam in the tip to pad under his stump, and them wrap the whole thing (splint and up the leg) in vet wrap to secure it and give him some grip? I liked that the splint itself had some padding already in it.

This idea has real potential

I wrapped Baelfires stumps in gauze and cotton. They look like they are healing nicely and I saw no signs of irritation. How long/often should they be wrapped?
P1110053.JPG

He got to go outside for a little bit. I held him in my arms because the ground is still to cold and wet, and all the chickens came running over to see him. He had a nice long conversation with the other roosters.

I wrapped Baelfires stumps in gauze and cotton. They look like they are healing nicely and I saw no signs of irritation. How long/often should they be wrapped?
View attachment 1723402
He got to go outside for a little bit. I held him in my arms because the ground is still to cold and wet, and all the chickens came running over to see him. He had a nice long conversation with the other roosters.

:love :clap

View attachment 1723402
:thumbsup

I wrapped his stumps again today, but he only kept it on for an hour or so before he slipped out of them. I'm afraid of binding them too tight, and he doesn't make them easy to wrap. I found some old foam in the garage and used it to pad his cage.
P1110061.JPG
Hopefully this will help take off some pressure. He took to it right away and enjoyed his meal worm treat.
P1110059.JPG

Cute thing happened during today's chick visit, my sapphire gem chick was hopping around on my lap on the couch, while Bay and my amberlink chick were eating/resting on a towel on the floor. He suddenly stood up, walked over, pecked my foot, and looked up at me like "Hey, I want up there too!"
Chicken Selfie.JPG

He’s adorable!

Maybe try some of the medical type tape that breathes. My husband had surgery and they sent us home with this tape that is super sticky, but breathable. I used it to treat a ducklings angel wing and it was fabulous. It stuck to the feathers really well, but didn’t pull them out when I took it off.

Bay got to go outside today. It was finely warm and dry enough to set him down. He took off like a shot! I was not expecting that. He was almost as fast as when he had legs. Once I finally caught him, I held him and let him talk to the flock. When we came back in I changed his dirty wraps, soaked his stumps and sprayed him with Veterincyn (just in case). After letting them dry I reapplied the wraps. Either I'm getting better at it or he's getting used to being wrapped as it gets faster and easier each time. I bought some tender tape and it works perfectly.
I remembered that I had some dog boots (that my dog hates) and thought that they might work for keeping his bandages clean while outside.
P1110076.JPG

Back
Top Bottom