Need advice...too many roos!!!

kierstog

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
Upstate SC
Hey y'all! We are new chicken owners and intended on getting 6 hens. We went to a local farm where the lady is supposed to be the best and ended up getting 7 that we thought were hens and 1 that we thought was a rooster. Chicken math, I hear.
So we've had our little flock for 4 weeks now, and are starting to panic. We are pretty sure that we have 5 roosters! And only 3 hens! The farm of course doesn't guarantee sexing, which I expect and understand, but 5 roosters!!!
Are they in danger of getting hurt with that many roosters in one space? What should we do?!

The rooster breeds are Black Star (meant to be our only roo), 2 Plymouth Barred Rock, Silver Laced Cochin, and Wellsummer.
IMAG0866.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0854.jpg
    IMAG0854.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMAG0839.jpg
    IMAG0839.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 12

The Angry Hen

Crossing the Road
Dec 17, 2016
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

You should start a rooster flock! :p
Really, no kidding!

Have a different coop.
Put all of them in it and when they are old enough,

Find out who is the nicest and keep them.
Then when you want to breed you can choose your rooster for a mix.

-K

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
Since you are new to chickens I would suggest you get rid of all the males and stick with a hen only flock.

I've had hatches that were 75-100% cockerels, so 5/8 being male isn't unusual. Here we eat them. You could try listing them for free in your local feedstore or on craigslist.

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
If there's a local small livestock auction, that's another possible solution. Also signs with pictures at the feed stores, and craigs list. Most cockerels land in freezers somewhere, feeding families, which is a good thing. A bachelor pen isn't a bad idea either, so you have time to pick the nicest to keep, if that's your plan. I too have excess cockerels right now, and will only keep one or two of them. Mary

MrDeMaistre

Hatching
Jun 13, 2017
We have 40-50 hens and usually four or five roosters. Our birds are free range, and it works out fine.

My advice, then, as a chicken-loving lunatic, would be to get an additional 50 hens, throw open the henhouse door, and send a preemptive note of apology along with a dozen eggs to any light-sleeping neighbors..

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
We have 40-50 hens and usually four or five roosters. Our birds are free range, and it works out fine.

My advice, then, as a chicken-loving lunatic, would be to get an additional 50 hens, throw open the henhouse door, and send a preemptive note of apology along with a dozen eggs to any light-sleeping neighbors..
Advanced chicken math. :lol:

Top Bottom