Need help fast on clipping WINGS!!!

erijn5

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
South Central IL
As some of you know I have recently purchased a male Toulouse Goose. Well much To my amazement I went to another auction mon. and found a female...YEAH!! But now I see why they wanted to get rid of her...She won't stay put!!
he.gif

She stayed in the first night and we thought all was well that her and her mate was quite the pair they had a lovely time time in the pool and the paired up with the Pekins and just cruise the pen. The pen is plenty lg. enough to accomadate both pairs, but only a quater of it has a top on it. The side that does not have a top on it is 15x45ft so it is lg. enough, with 2 pools and plenty of food and 2 barns to lay in.

Anyway last night the Toulouse flew out twice. Once my husband just ran out in the yard and picked her up and the other time I had to run about 1/2 mile to get her and round her back...thank God for cell phones cause my brother came and picked me up by 4-wheeler or I would have been carrying the goose all the way back...and she isn't light...
big_smile.png

We clipped one of her wings before her 1/2 mile flight so we we surely did not get it short enough....so please please...help how far can we clip her...so we don't loose our dear LILY!!!
fl.gif

THANKS!!
pop.gif

Quote:
Went to the link...yep this is what we did..equal with the 2nd set of feathers....Still flew, So I wonder can you clip farther down or is that a bad thing to do? I'm aware of the predator violation and all..but I thing if she gets out she will be dead faster..!
hu.gif

Wow, she must be really determined to get out of there! You can try clipping the other wing as well, it may work. If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is to put some fencing along the top of the run.

I agree with chickentoes - try clipping the other wing as well. But she may just flap harder and still be able to fly... Let us know if it works! (or doesn't work!)

Last edited:
The same length or should I try to clip them a little shorter? I don't want to get them to short...but I have one issue....I live a little less then a 1/2 mile from the Wabash River in IL. 4 more city blocks and she could easily flew to river....see my concern...Thank goodness she flew into surrounding fields instead!!!
ep.gif

I dont have a geese but some female muscovies who fly really well. I have to totally clip their wings on both sides to keep them n the ground. I just did it for the second time with no ill effect. Heck she got more in trouble with her drake for fltng over the fence in the first place.

I just can't believe she is flying away from her man. They are not fighting and they just follow each other around the pen like the Pekins...I have never had trouble with the Pekins that is why my Feathers are Ruffled with these silly Geese!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom