Jsnai

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2022
@Lenny loves chickens

Hello everyone: Hen had clear vit b deficiency, was treated with B complex, and some other vitamins in addition to upgrade to higher quality feed. Seems to have recovered in that regard. Went from curled toes and sitting back on hocks to walking and all. Definitely has strength and energy back.

Lasting effects seem to be inability to balance. Possibly has a slipped tendon or something wrong with legs? Can walk, but keeps falling back and can’t put weight on leg? Hocks seem sensitive to touch and warm.

Slipped tendons usually lead to a crooked ankle. I'm not seeing that.

Check for an Ear infection? Look for yellow, crusty cheesy like gunk.
How long since she stopped having curled toes? It may just take time. I am not an expert but have been nursing a three week old chick who went suddenly lame back to health so have seen the different stages of recovery.

How long since she stopped having curled toes? It may just take time. I am not an expert but have been nursing a three week old chick who went suddenly lame back to health so have seen the different stages of recovery.
She stopped having curled toes around April 5-10. But was still sitting on hocks. A huge difference since April 10th to where she is now

Have you examined her feet/legs for cuts or bruises? How high is the roost she was using before? Where is she being kept while injured?

She could also have a leg/joint infection which would require antibiotics. But a vet would have to diagnose that.

Have you examined her feet/legs for cuts or bruises? How high is the roost she was using before? Where is she being kept while injured?

She could also have a leg/joint infection which would require antibiotics. But a vet would have to diagnose that.

No roost before, she wasn’t even standing. I offered a 2x2 piece of wood on the ground so it wasn’t elevated. Then upgraded them to a 1x4” on its side (so 3.5 inches). I just walked in to check on her and she’s actually using the new roost again!

She is isolated in a brooder tent thing

Attachments

• A0A1F64B-E319-45E6-8EE9-0EC752568CB3.jpeg
    A0A1F64B-E319-45E6-8EE9-0EC752568CB3.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 6
No roost before, she wasn’t even standing. I offered a 2x2 piece of wood on the ground so it wasn’t elevated. Then upgraded them to a 1x4” on its side (so 3.5 inches). I just walked in to check on her and she’s actually using the new roost again!

She is isolated in a brooder tent thing
Maybe she’s just working out the kinks from the vit deficiency?

Maybe she’s just working out the kinks from the vit deficiency?
I think it may be that. My situation may have been slightly different (or maybe not), but it might help to scan through the thread I had on her issue. It might encourage you because it looks to me that your little lady is nearly well again.
By the way, I never separated my Bernadette from her little brooder buddies.
Anyway, hope this helps even if just to reassure.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/

Glad to see that! I was going to suggest separating her. I wouldn’t offer her a higher roost unless you see she is fully healed so she doesn’t reinjure any possible injuries.

Back
Top Bottom