Need your help with this chicken. is this respiratory disease? * includes video*

Just got home, they are all fine running around. And she layed one big white egg.

Is it possible she had her head down to protect herself from eventual pecking?

She may have had a bit of trouble laying the egg, and was uncomfortable. I would put perhaps even another bowl of water in the coop or run since it is very hot. Glad that they have seemed to recover mostly from the respiratory disease.

I already have vitamins that I add to the water from time to time, not that brand but also recommended for chickens. rovite is the name.

Will have to add another drinking station because the second drinker was completely empty this afternoon.

a heat wave is announced to hit in the following days so this is good advice.

one thing that has been happening regularly, the pullets are now starting to be fully grown developed laying hens and some of them are already making the submissive stance. thing is, my older hens climb to their backs, the pullets do the submissive stance and all 3 older hens start pecking them mercilessly. still no blood but it is not a pretty thing to see, the poor pullets just stand there until the older ones get bored of pecking. I thought this pecking order process would be over by now, they are all together for several weeks now.

Last edited:
another update.

I isolated the two red stars that were being bullies and things seem to have settled down in the coop. the black star imposes herself from time to time but now everyone is allowed to eat and drink peacefully and there are no more ambushes (one red star chicken on the back of the submissive stance pullet and pecking all over the place from the other red star and black star).

having that said, I just noticed that one of the medicated pullets has one eye completely shut. she is active scratching and eating and seems normal apart from the closed eye. from what I have been reading, I need to try to open and wash it. will do it with plain tap water as I do not have eye drops with me and see if it works.

lets hope this was just a scratch and not more diseases incoming :(

these white chickens are giving me many problems, they seem to be much more delicate than the others.

Thank you for the update. Removing the two bully hens from the flock for at least week might help to lower their rank in the flock, so I hope that it helps. Hopefully, the swollen eye is due to pecking, and not a respiratory symptom. You seem to be handling all of your problems with the chickens well. Glad to hear that you are getting some eggs from the new hens.

Back
Top Bottom