Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

i once had to make the choice to move outa my apt or rehome my three bantys
lau.gif
i didnt miss that apt neither did my birds!

I'm hoping the best for you Brentwood residents! Keeping my fingers crossed!
fl.gif
That letter posted on page five was beautifully written. Leagues above the level of writing of the anti-chicken psychologist.

I really, honestly think it's ridiculous that people are even opposing this. The people who are opposing the chickens obviously have never been around small flocks to see how messy/smelly/loud they are. I currently have eight chickens in my garage (as well as my large outdoor flock, haha), and they don't smell at all, and they're hardly noisy at all even with two roosters in there. If I can keep eight chickens in my garage with no issues, smells, and almost no noise, a person could absolutely keep a few hens outdoors in a small yard without a single problem.
roll.png

Well, let's hope the decision comes down on the side of chickens!

Lost 3-2. :-( I'll be looking at what comes next to keep fighting this battle. I'm guessing petitions?

Stacie

I'm really glad I got to go and meet everyone, but very sad at the outcome. Some of those that voted had their minds made up way in advance. IMO, they weren't really listening to the pros or the cons of raising chickens or listening to what the majority of their constituents wanted.

Hopefully when it is time to vote for new representation, those voted in will actually represent the desires of the majority.

Stacie, keep up the good work! If we could bottle all your tenacity, determination, and what you've learned over all the many months, we'd truly have a chicken in every yard!

Thanks to all for the support! And thank you, Rob, for coming and speaking tonight! It was nice to meet you! And thank you, Gnawsey, for working on this issue so fervently!!!

As you can see, a couple of posts up, the vote did not go in favor of the hens! 3-2 no go... The psychologist came, spoke (and yes, mentioned the 1,000 times a day thing again!) and left victorious. The Neighborhood Watch had been sending out regular reminders to voice opposition, though no warm body from my neighborhood actually showed at the City Council meeting tonight.

Seems the Mayor, Vice Mayor and one City Councilman had their minds made up long ago, and will forever perceive chickens as farm animals that don't belong in backyards. The next election is a long way off - terms not quite expiring...

What to do next???

Go after the Neighborhood Watch. I am fairly certain they violated terms of the program by targeting issues that are not directly related to crime prevention. At issue is not just any funding they may have received, but also laws relating to release of personal information (using their email lists to send messages that are not directly related to their charter function). This is a serious breech of ethics and probably laws.

Second, do you have referendum issues in your state? If so, find out and begin the process for a public vote authorizing chickens in your city.

Hi,

I am new here; I registered last night after the vote. I have used this website in the past for research; prior to purchasing chickens and building a coop. I am just now coming up too speed on this issue and frankly am embarrassed by the three no votes from the council and their baseless excuses for their actions. It would appear that $$$$ means more to them than the will of the majority people/voters.

I grew up in and still live in Brentwood, I graduated from Liberty when it still had an AG program (4H or FFA) which had goats, chickens and a horse if I recall right on campus, directly behind the outside basketball courts. I remember when there were chickens, ducks and geese right next to city hall at the day care center. You can imagine my surprise when I found out that chickens were illegal at all and that anyone in Brentwood especially the long time farmer families would be against it; especially one who professes to be an organic farmer and a supporter of slow foods.

I mean this is Brentwood; home of the Corn Fest (place where some of the sweetest white corn in the nation comes from), home to champion horse breeders, gold medal wines, pastured beef, excellent growing/weather conditions and a well respected agricultural community and Oakland passed their ordinance and not us?!?!? I was simply shocked, still am. Honestly deep down it tells me it might be time to finally move away.

I will be watching this very closely; I think if possible this should be put on a ballot for the voters as the elected officials have fallen down on the job. I feel our younger council members do not appear to understand the basics of the job they have been elected to nor the processes used to do their jobs. This recent issue with chickens only strengthens my belief.

We here in Brentwood are in a unique place to face some of the coming challenges regarding food safety, sustainability and availability. We actually have all the resources that places like Berkley and Oakland are still struggling to bring online to be more local and sustainable; and most of our council cannot appear to see past the $$$$$ from retail shopping and mindless consumers. It is a very sad day in the history of Brentwood, and one more nail in the coffin for the small farmer and the conscious consumer. But hey we sure got a lot of wasteful pretty grass around.

I want to thank all of you that championed this cause. Please do not give up! For this first time in a long time last night watching you all speak I was proud to be a member of my community once again.

Jeff - illegal owner of 1 RIR and 1 BA

Back
Top Bottom