Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

How will the city regulate the maintenance of the coop or backyard area?

How does the city regulate dog kennels, cat litter boxes and ferret cages? What about aquariums? Parrot cages?
• Code enforcement will need to check that owners are properly abiding by the law and maintaining a clean environment?

Does code enforcement do this for other pets? Cats? Dogs? Parakeets? If not, why?​

Is there any place on this site or should there be a place where someone having trouble with the community or trying to fight there communiy could have a bank of reseach. If there is something I haven't found it yet, but I have not been here long. It seem to me maybe a sticky with links to university studies, maybe some of our vets here on BYC could write a post or info for contact if they needed to write a letter. Any members who members of there town council. Or a list of members all throughout the site would be willing to allow people in a nearby community take a look at there chickens and set up to help people better understand how chickens can be controlled. I am sure I am missing something. I am not ever sure this makes sense ( I have not had my first cup of coffe yet ). I do not mean to steal this thread or get it off topic just think it would be great if this person would have someplace to go where the a good part of the work is done for them. The neighbor hood watch may have the e-mail list, but they do not 50,000+ !!!

Hello Again Chicken Fans! Since I started this thread, I just wanted to repost and say thanks again to all who have taken the time to read the flier circulated by my Neighborhood Watch - I appreciate your time, comments and suggestions!

While we all know how ignorant the flier is, those who wrote/circulated it and many who read it/were riled by it did not know how ignorant it was - even with the poor grammar!

When one of our own Backyard Chicken members requested permission to keep chickens, the request was overshadowed by a heated argument between another chicken lover and a chicken hater (flier writer) that recently imploded in front of our Planning Commission as they discussed amending our local municipal code to allow backyard hens. The chicken hating psychologist "appeared" to get a lot of support from city residents who were riled by that flier. Ninety-five percent of the letters/emails received by the City at that time were against backyard chickens.

I am happy to report that local pro chicken residents have started to show their support too! Recently, a local newspaper columnist mocked the chicken hating psychologists' presentation to the Planning Committee - hint, hint, the presentation was based on the flier! We are also seeing letters of support by area residents. However, most chicken owners (outlaws) remain underground as this issue simmers...

My husband and I are now in a position to credibly address our City Council thanks to all of you arming us with accurate facts and persuasive rationale. We've counted our eggs and got our ducks in a row!

As for our local Neighborhood Watch, they actually changed their "Objective Statement" in order to broaden their realm of service to address this chicken issue - just pitiful! And I'm not sure I previously mentioned that we have an HOA to boot!

I've read all replies - thanks a million!!! You've given us the confidence to proceed to fight for the birds we all love!

The Agenda has yet to be posted, but the next meeting is January 26th at 7:00 PM. The Planning Commission noted this date to make their recommendation for the amendment to include 3 hens on lots 10,000 sq ft or larger. We're hoping that is approved and suggesting the lot size minimum be reduced to include lots less than 10,000 sq. ft. Not many residents would even meet this requirement due to the small size of residential lots here. The 10,000 sq ft. sounded like a "cop out" due to the heated conflict at that particular Planning Committee meeting; it kind of addressed both sides. However, there are setback requirements too. What is odd, is that it does not matter how large or small the lot, the coop is still same distance from the neighbor per the setback...

By the way, I suspect the majority of people in Brentwood would consider the idea of attracting hawks a plus.
cool.png

The City Council Meeting is Tuesday evening at 7:00 PM. This issue has been getting some press, "the great chicken trial," and word is the chambers may fill up. There is an E-Packet with the Agenda (we are #13...) available on line. When we reviewed it, it appears this is in the late stages with just a yes/no vote needed by the Council. However, the original recommendation was for 6,000 sq. ft. and 3 hens, but the most recent recommendation from the Planning Committee turned the amendment to 10,000 sq feet required to house 3 hens (probably due to resistance of residents who were riled by the Neighborhood Watch flier). So, we altered our focus to request reconsideration of the original Land Use Committee proposal for allowing 3 hens on lots 6,000 sq. feet or greater. What was the use of doing all of this when the majority of property owners in Brentwood would still be excluded due to their property size? Here's a copy of the letter we sent to the City Council:

Dear Council Members,

Planning Commission Resolution No. 09-061 is a step in the right direction to expanding the rights of the citizens of Brentwood to own chickens, but it falls short of any significant change in zoning. Limiting the allowable property size to 10,000 sq ft precludes a significant number of properties within the city. While we offer our support for a zoning amendment, we ask the Council to consider reverting to the original 6,000 sq ft lot proposal.

During its hearing, the Planning Commission read several e-mails opposing any change in the ordinance. These e-mails were spurned by the circulation of a letter written by an opponent who spoke at the Planning Committee hearing and presented gross misinformation as fact. This letter, sent via a Shadow Lakes/Deer Ridge/Brentwood Hills Neighborhood Watch e-mail tree, provoked rather vitriolic opposition. We feel it was this narrow scope of opposition which lead the Planning Commission to deviate from the the recommendation of the Land Use and Development Committee which recommended three chickens on lots 6,000 sq ft and larger. Much of the argument sought to denigrate those owning chickens as incurring blight. Some of those opposed used outright lies to sway opinion against the proposal.

What many fail to take into consideration is three, four, or even six chickens hardly constitute much beyond a hobby and "hobby" is the best way to describe this level of participation in sustainability and slow food. People involved in raising small back yard flocks take a much different approach than those interested in commercial poultry production. Hobbyists research breeds and can readily discuss the difference between Cochins, Barred Rocks, Americaunas and Polish hens. They name their birds and can point out their distinct personalities. Extensive forethought goes into coop design and most are interested in harvesting the nitrogen rich chicken manure for composting and amending their gardens rather than disposing of it into landfills or sewers. The eggs their birds produce are cherished for their rich orange yolks, lower cholesterol and lack of antibiotics and other chemicals. In short, chickens for the hobbyist are more akin to pets with benefits and, contrary to what naysayers would like people to believe, can actually be beneficial to the environment.

While poorly maintained coops and runs can be officious, they are no more unsavory than poorly maintained kennels, parks and open spaces littered with dog feces, or planter beds used as litter boxes. The unfortunate reality is, just as there are those who fail to take responsible care of their dogs and cats, there will be those whose chickens will not be properly cared for. It is unfair to suggest any one group of animal owners will be more irresponsible than another. This is why we fully support language in the Brentwood Municipal Code providing recourse for those affected by negligent animal owners. However, the rights of those who would be responsible owners should not be infringed upon to address the unconscientious few.

The argument has been posed that there is a place for agriculture and residents here pay a premium to not live amongst it. While we have already pointed out a handful of chickens does not necessarily constitute agriculture, we would also emphasize Brentwood's agricultural roots. We are amongst the many who cherish Brentwood's blending of modern amenities and development with the rural suburban setting far removed from the crowding and congestion of the greater Bay Area. Few other cities boast such a diverse environment as Brentwood, yet other cities such as Pleasanton, San Ramon and Alameda - cities whose housing and property values double Brentwood's and have remained far more stable - have embraced the sustainable lifestyle and allow their residents to keep chickens. Brentwood should not turn its back on those who would like the opportunity to connect with their food sources and experience the joy of producing their own healthy alternative to factory-farmed eggs. This opportunity should be extended to a greater number of residents than the few who are lucky enough to have large lots.

In conclusion, we ask Council Members to vote affirmatively on the change in zoning and to extend the amendment to properties 6,000 sq ft or greater. There is little we can say or do which would change the minds of those who oppose any change in zoning due merely to the prejudice of their perception. We are disappointed a Neighborhood Watch e-letter was used to promote opposition to the ordinance change, but we do not believe this narrow opposition represents the greater voice of the citizens of Brentwood. We are familiar with a far more tolerant and accepting Brentwood. Furthermore, we steadfastly stand by the rights of property owners to conduct themselves as they lawfully choose, in the privacy of their back yards, so long as they do not negatively affect their neighbors. We believe the change in zoning would have little net effect in enforcement requirements and would only improve upon the image of Brentwood's ideals of Heritage, Vision and Opportunity.

Wish us luck Backyard Chicken Members!!!

Quote:
I believe (not 100% sure though) that Neighborhood Watch Programs are funded by the police and cities--as such, it is probably illegal to espouse political opinion on a matter not covered by their funding.

Back
Top Bottom