Neighbors let their aggressive dog free in our yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if so, if it is your neighbors dog that’s not your place, so just talk to them about it
Personally, I have chased neighbors dogs out of my yard with 6 inch skinning knives before while the neighbors watched... They don't tend to come back after that... I don't have to worry much about anything on the farm, if a dog goes in the field with the horses, he isn't likely to come back out with all skin intact, if he comes out at all... Apparently chasing dogs down and stomping them is fun if you're a horse...

I've found that dog's have long memories when it comes to electric fencing. One shock and the dog will most likely leave your yard alone. Even if you can't keep the fence electrified all the time, once the dog is shocked once it will probably recognize the fencing and not keep testing it.

GOOD FENCES-
MAKE GOOD NEIGHBORS.
dunnno.gif

Electric fence is a great suggestion if it's allowed, but honestly I think a permanent fence would be best. By all means, talk to the neighbors and then animal control if needed. I just think neighbors like these will never have control over their dog even if they want to, nor will they hesitate to get a new one if animal control removes the first. I'm sorry for the situation you're in. Problems with neighbors are challenging.

ALWAYS talk to your neighbors as the very first step when you have a problem. ALWAYS.
Why?
You can't divorce your neighbors.

You are stuck with them, and their dogs, kids, noise, whatever, until you move. Most people don't like moving - this is why and how you get neighbor wars. People don't talk until they are furious and go over ranting and raving and shouting and next thing you know it's the Hatfields and McCoys.

So talk to them because you can't divorce your neighbors. Be a grown-up, use your words and be nice. You can always scream and yell and threaten later, but starting out that way never ends well. So slip on the big-girl-pants, get a nice coffee cake and go over with it and say;
"Hey, we haven't properly met. I'm your neighbor, SilkieKeeper. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, but it really bothers me when your dog comes into my yard, he makes me nervous and I'd appreciate if you kept him on a lead or in a fence or something."
"Oh, Cujo would never ..."
<smile> "I'm sure he wouldn't, you're probably taking him to the trainer in town <hand over business card of local trainer>, but all the same, I don't like it when he comes by and I'd appreciate if you kept him home. It was a pleasure meeting you!! If you ever need anything, please call <hand over your #>. See you around!"

Takes 5 minutes, and leaves them with a sinking feeling like they're a jerk if they do anything except for what you asked because you are so nice. No one wants to be the bad guy, everyone wants to feel justified in what they do. Think about it - when people shoot dogs, in their mind, they're not the monster that murdered Lassie, they think of themselves as the hero that saved the flock or the vigilante that keeps order, right? When you talk to them, YOU have a chance to write the script.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:Best answer yet!

We had a neighbor at our prior house who's dog started to act the same... I'm sorry i have young kids I don't put up with mean animals. Early on I could walk it home even pet it, but once it started to get aggressive I stared reporting them. The day I had to grab a 2x4 just so my kids could get out of the car i was done. Thing was I wasnt the only person reporting them but most reports where for a lose dog not an aggressive dog. That day they got a ticket/fine. I'm not sure how it would have gone had thier friend (another neighbor) not also seen what i dealt with that day. But we where on speaking terms with the neighbor with the dog and he promptly came to appologize that evening and get a full story. Only thing was they weren't letting the dog out, it was escaping, and they had kids the same age as mine. We had worked together for 6 months since they first moved in and got the dog to help keep it safe and at home, they even went as far as replacing the entire fence. I don't blame them for the fact that thier dog got aggresive with me, though I do feel they could have done more to confine the dog to thier property. I do think after thier fine they got a kennel for the dog to use at least while they weren't are home.

Ok story over here's my suggestion.

Talk to the neighbor. Explain what's going on and that if she can't keep the dog off your property you will report it (or take nessecary action) becuase it is on you property but also becuase it is acting aggressively.

Also check your laws make sure what ways you can legally defend yourself and your animals (ie if you can shoot the dog). When it's legal to do so, on your property or at the property line, and how to report that you had to take those measures for your protection.

Once you have that information if you feel it's needed inform her that if the dog is on your property or threatens your or you animals you will do what's nessecary to protect yourself and your animals.

I understand not wanting to make bad neighbors, but sometimes you have to mean to get them to understand.

Personally, my big dog is a hound but becuase of her looks I fear nothing more then her going to the wrong neighbors property and getting shot for wanting to play with a goat or a horse or other large animal honestly she's really good with my goats and chickens but I don't take the risk with others animals. Until she learns to stay on my property she stays on a lead at all times when outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom