neighbors

Agreed!!! Animal abuse!! Someone call PETA;)
Well then, it should be the chickens' owners that are reported, since it was their birds on the neighbors' property, therefore allowing them to get squirted by harmless, non-lethal water guns and nerf guns. I commend the neighbors for being so patient and not eating the little buggers the second or third time it happened. I would call once a mistake - maybe they accidentally got out. But after that, the owner should keep them contained.

dpenning - to an extent it is your responsibility to keep your neighbors' dogs out of your yard, as it's your responsibility to protect your livestock. In keeping out the dogs, you will likely deter other critters as well. That having been said, it's also your neighbor's responsibility to keep their animals off your property! I think they carry the heavier load here since you currently don't have livestock to protect. SSS would have to happen, I'm thinking.

Last edited:
I agree with the others that say its not the neighbors fault. They shouldn't have to deal with other animals on their property. They didn't sign up for chickens ducks and roosters roaming their property. We would all be upset if our chickens were chased or "shot at", but in all fairness its the owners fault and responsibility to contain her animals on her property. Fences are the only way. I let all my animals free range and they luckily do not leave my yard ever. The ducks used to cross the road to the neighbors but I stopped that quick and they are penned now and don't get to free range any more. Since my neighbor never said hey ducks pooping, quacking and making mud puddles in my well landscaped yard would be awesome I quickly penned them as to not cause conflict.

Your lucky all they do is shot water guns it could be worse as other people mentioned chicken and duck make good dinners. They could even call the town or animal control on you, too many complaints and the town might take action and remove the animals all together.

Your best bet is keep them confined to their fenced in run/pen(assuming they have one) if not you should build one, and maybe only free range on occasion while you can watch them and keep them on your property. A good trick is to train them with a shaker(like a plastic jar with a lid) of chicken scratch. Shake the shaker and them give the treat. They will quickly learn the shaker sound and know it means treat and they will come running fast. Only shake and give them the treat if they start wandering off too far. It might help you be able to free range on occasion and still somewhat control them.

Next if you decide they really need to be free ranged daily you should really fence in your yard.

Good luck!

Last edited:
. The ducks used to cross the road to the neighbors but I stopped that quick and they are penned now and don't get to free range any more. Since my neighbor never said hey ducks pooping, quacking and making mud puddles in my well landscaped yard would be awesome I quickly penned them as to not cause conflict.

Good luck!
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom