Nervous

DontesChicks

Chirping
Jun 9, 2019
Northwestern PA
55D2B3DF-6DE4-4C50-85AC-0D4BA70BCC77.jpeg 7FCDD071-B0F2-4148-B0E8-D31DFBF5171D.jpeg 7F91D2D1-0808-4E6C-BAF6-5D5C8102AB23.jpeg
Our black pullet, Chick Norris, and our cockerel, Cornelius, have been together since day one literally. They are now ten weeks old and are going to live with a family friend who has eight hens. My concern is how attached Chick and Corny are. They are almost always side by side as in the photos and I’m afraid they won’t adapt with the other chickens. I was thinking about bringing just one from their coop out to the “corral” in the yard a few times for alone time before they go. I’m heartbroken that I can’t keep them, but they will be better off in the long run.
Any suggestions?

View attachment 1872618 View attachment 1872617 View attachment 1872616
Our black pullet, Chick Norris, and our cockerel, Cornelius, have been together since day one literally. They are now ten weeks old and are going to live with a family friend who has eight hens. My concern is how attached Chick and Corny are. They are almost always side by side as in the photos and I’m afraid they won’t adapt with the other chickens. I was thinking about bringing just one from their coop out to the “corral” in the yard a few times for alone time before they go. I’m heartbroken that I can’t keep them, but they will be better off in the long run.
Any suggestions?
If they are going as a pair I think they'll be fine.

The are 10 weeks old and the other eight hens are adults. Initially they will not adapt very well as far as them all gathering together around the campfire, roasting marshmallows for S'mores, and singing Cum ba yah. That comes later when your two mature. Until then the older hens outrank them in the pecking order and can be pretty stern in enforcing those pecking order rights. Chicks typically learn really quickly to avoid adults. It's good that there are two of them so they can form a sub-flock.

I don't know how that family friend manages the chickens. If there is sufficient room it will probably go pretty smoothly. If room is tight there are more likely to be issues. When he goes through puberty things are likely to get exciting, either the hens beating him up because he is a boy or he may harass the hens while he takes over as flock master. Male adolescence can get hectic. But eventually he will mature enough to take over the flock and things will be peaceful. A lot of time it does go really peacefully, the more room the better. It's so peaceful you wonder what all the concern was. I just don't want you panicking if there are some issues, those usually work out fine.

The are 10 weeks old and the other eight hens are adults. Initially they will not adapt very well as far as them all gathering together around the campfire, roasting marshmallows for S'mores, and singing Cum ba yah. That comes later when your two mature. Until then the older hens outrank them in the pecking order and can be pretty stern in enforcing those pecking order rights. Chicks typically learn really quickly to avoid adults. It's good that there are two of them so they can form a sub-flock.

I don't know how that family friend manages the chickens. If there is sufficient room it will probably go pretty smoothly. If room is tight there are more likely to be issues. When he goes through puberty things are likely to get exciting, either the hens beating him up because he is a boy or he may harass the hens while he takes over as flock master. Male adolescence can get hectic. But eventually he will mature enough to take over the flock and things will be peaceful. A lot of time it does go really peacefully, the more room the better. It's so peaceful you wonder what all the concern was. I just don't want you panicking if there are some issues, those usually work out fine.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom