neurolgical problem with 5 week old chick...*video*

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
i think one of my chicks has a problem, perhaps in her brain....and im wondering is their anything i can try to help her or is it best to cull?
shes not been right from hatching, shes always been wobbly on her feet, always had trouble feeding and is smaller than her hatch buddies. these past few days things have gotten worse and she shakes the whole time...her head seems to droop a lot and shes been having sort of mini seizures, normally when she tries to eat (she'll peck at a crumb, then flick on her back as if shes been electrocuted, flapping about, then jerks, lies still and comes round.
its no life for a chick but before i cull if theres anything i could first try id be very grateful. i have a video of her normal behaviour, still trying to upload the one of a seizure.....
no ther chicks are suffering so dont think its poison or something shes ate it gets worse as she gets bigger. i thought maybe a vitamin defieciency or wry neck but she can support her head and move it, and something like that then wouldnt they all be suffering?

any advice?

dont know if it helps but i *think* she is an appenzeller or a cross thereof

Last edited:
Hi spish, I watched the video, poor baby. I still wonder if it isn't wry neck? and one can have it and it not affect any others. If you want to give her a chance and you must of you wouldn't be here, I'd try the vitamins. I know just from reading it can have many different forms from severe to mild and looks like she is in between. there is a post here about what to use and how much I'll try to find it for you.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=297076&p=1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=199992

Last edited:
poor baby....
i also watched the video and i wish i could say it was rye neck.... i have had Silkies with this problem and honestly and it doesn't really look the same... it would not hurt to give her children's POLYVISOL ( no iron) vitamins. it comes in a liquid and i would give her 3 or 4 drops every couple days.
Also, something else i noticed is her wings look to big for her body... how old is she??
this could be a case of failure to thrive
hoping for the best for you and your chick
hugs.gif

Thats interesting SS, because I have read so many posts where peoples birds will have wry neck and it seems it has different degrees of it. or maybe some that we think are wry neck aren't, I've never had to deal with it so just going by what I've read.

I have no idea if it IS wry neck or not.... but I found this on another chicken forum:

"Severe wry neck (perhaps due to a head injury) takes longer and benefits from the addition of Prednisone"

The discussion was about PolyViSol vitamins for wry neck.

Prednisone or prednisolone is a steroid. If you can find some, I don't suppose it would hurt to try that too.

Rye neck can be caused by a head injury for sure.. also some breeds ( like Silkies) are more suseptible to it
another cause in all breeds is a vitamin deficiency which would probably account for the different degrees of it depending on how deficient the bird is....
either way, it never hurts to do everything we can..
I have a rooster who was pecked on the head as a month old baby and at the time I thought he was having seizures and that little guy was my constant companion for about 2 months while he recovered... at home, at work..... he had to be fed and watered and i held him during his bouts....
that was 3 years ago and he is the friendliest guy and the mascot for my baseball team YEAH LUCKY
love.gif

2787_1_103.jpg

Praying for a happy ending

after a bad seizure this morning little chicky didnt really recover so ive done the kindest thing and sent her to chicky heaven
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom