Nevadans?

And now on to, hopefully, more pleasant stuff.....

SHERYL:
I'll add a prayer, too. The liver is a miraculous and fascinating organ and capable of regeneration of a lot from a bit. I hope there's a good donor match for you out there soonly so you can get on the road to recovery.

MISSY:
Grape leaves in pickles...I'm perplexed how that works. Do you wrap the cukes in the grape leaves or are the leaves just sort of floating about in the brine?

AUBREY:
Not Nanners! I'm so sorry to hear that.....Dang. How come the rotten egg eaters don't just keel over? Or the ill-tempered roos? Why the ones with personality? Do post a pic of her stone. I have no doubt you'll do her justice in some fanciful way.

We tied a record in LV yesterday of 114 degrees here....more of the same today. Supposed chance of showers (and guaranteed humidity with a mild lessening of temps) for Thursday and Friday. Last night at 11:00 when we went to bed it was still 102. My dogs are inert and my yard wants to be crunchy.

Sounds like a send up to a joke of "How hot is it?" "It's so hot....."

1) ...the eggs are poaching themselves.

2) ....the habaneros are crying "Uncle!"

Anybody else?

It wasn't me this time.
hide.gif
Actually, it's horseshowmomnv that's making the pickles with the grape leaves. I haven't pickled yet, though my mom did. I don't grow enough cucumbers, and they're too valuable for fresh, delicious eating to try to save up enough for pickles. But if we get an overload of snap beans, I'm going to make a bunch of dilly beans for my husband. Partly because it's a safe way to can them without a pressure cooker, and partly because he's the most amazing man in the world, ever. (Sorry, guys. He is. But I'm sure you're pretty great, too.)

These aren't jokes, but it's so hot that:
1) I'm going out hourly to put ice cubes in broody hens' water. And bowls of ice in the dog and chicken waterers.
2) I bought some semi-sheer drapes from Lowe's to cut up and tent over my garden.
3) I don't CARE about the power and water bills right now!!!!

We have peeping under momma hen. So we probably have at least one out and safe. I'm hosing down the outside of the nesting box every hour. There are two left, and there's NO WAY I'm going to lift up momma and expose membranes to this kind of heat and dry air.

Last edited:
I only pour in about 1/4 cup of water, if that.  Just enough to wet the shavings, not leave a pool.

I think sheryl might have been referring to when there is too much humidity and water gets between the shell and the membrane so when the chick breaks the membrane it is met with condensation an drowns before it can break the shell and release the excess moisture. I think it takes more than one day of extra humidity to create that problem though... This is what happened to my first hatch, I think my humidity was too high during lockdown by 5 percent and they all died when they broke the membrane. Such a delicate balance. Crazy how hard it is to replicate a mama hen!

I put grape leaves in my pickles. I push the grape leaf in first, the garlic, the pepper flakes, the dill then the cucumbers. I think you can see the grape leaves in this picture.

And now on to, hopefully, more pleasant stuff.....

SHERYL:
I'll add a prayer, too. The liver is a miraculous and fascinating organ and capable of regeneration of a lot from a bit. I hope there's a good donor match for you out there soonly so you can get on the road to recovery.

MISSY:
Grape leaves in pickles...I'm perplexed how that works. Do you wrap the cukes in the grape leaves or are the leaves just sort of floating about in the brine?

AUBREY:
Not Nanners! I'm so sorry to hear that.....Dang. How come the rotten egg eaters don't just keel over? Or the ill-tempered roos? Why the ones with personality? Do post a pic of her stone. I have no doubt you'll do her justice in some fanciful way.

We tied a record in LV yesterday of 114 degrees here....more of the same today. Supposed chance of showers (and guaranteed humidity with a mild lessening of temps) for Thursday and Friday. Last night at 11:00 when we went to bed it was still 102. My dogs are inert and my yard wants to be crunchy.

Sounds like a send up to a joke of "How hot is it?" "It's so hot....."

1) ...the eggs are poaching themselves.

2) ....the habaneros are crying "Uncle!"

Anybody else?

Wowza, lots going on, and TOO MUCH HEAT. I'm still looking for a job, and especially missing my previous positions where I got to enjoy ac during the day. Anyone know of someone hiring?

Despite the heat we now have 4 of our 6 hens laying! I rigged up a very sad looking sheet to give the girls some extra shade. I'm very worried about them, because they seem to be panting every time I check on them. I've hosed down their run, and refilled the waterers with ice water. But what else can I do?
idunno.gif

Thanks for the tips on freezing, Missy! I made a large batch of guacamole and froze it in individual freezer bags. It's still bright green over a week later, and the one we thawed tasted great! It will be nice to have some guac when avocados aren't available or are outrageously priced again.

As per your advice Missy, I've been giving my garden some shade during the hottest part of the day. I am just using an old sheet that I'm hanging over some PVC I shoved over rebar in the ground. It seems like the bees can still get in and when I put my hand under it's definitely cooler than where the sun is hitting. All the silly sheets reminded me of the conversation you had going about the things we do that other people might look down on. It looks like kids have been making forts in my dirt pit of a yard! BUT my tomatoes are blooming more now, and I have four new baby tomatoes going since I started giving them more shade.

And, YAY for chicks! Can't wait till they start poking their little faces out from under mama so you can see they're doing well!

Aubrey, I'm so sorry about your hen! I really hope there aren't more heat casualties. :(

Sheryl, I'm glad you have an answer now, although it sounds like a scary bit of information. A lobe transplant is a much better news than hearing there is nothing. You're in my prayers, too!

Sunny, you need internet. This thread isn't the same without you!

And hi to everyone else! Oh, and good luck with that rabbit, Tyler. I have no idea how to help you there!

We have one healthy baby, who hatched out before noon. The others tried to hatch between 1 and 5pm today, and didn't make it. It looks like they got caught up in the membrane, and it dried out, even though Tom Ka Gai was being a good mommy. I tried to wash down the outside of the nesting box a few times, and even draped it with an old white sheet. I think the air was just too dry.

Tomorrow I'll put them in the mini coop. The second set of eggs is due to hatch around the 25th.

Last edited:
well things do happen in threes I guess. After working my ten hour shift and biking home (mark is out of town with my car) in this heat, I walked inside and was blasted with hot air. 95* in here and the dog and cats are half dead. The pump has already gone out. Im so hot and sick and tired I could just cry. This week sucks.

Thanks for the tips on freezing, Missy! I made a large batch of guacamole and froze it in individual freezer bags. It's still bright green over a week later, and the one we thawed tasted great! It will be nice to have some guac when avocados aren't available or are outrageously priced again.
Hi StevieNay

I haven't seen your name before but then I haven't been subscribed to this group for very long either.

I was just wondering something... I've had to cut my salt intake, due to my kidneys, and I LOVE guacamole. We usually use a premix from an envelope but since cutting my salt, I have found that this stuff is just too salty for me even though I never noticed it before.

Do you make your own guacamole without a premix? If so, would you be willing to share your recipe? Or anyone else for that matter... I miss the guacamole!

It wasn't me this time.
hide.gif
Actually, it's horseshowmomnv that's making the pickles with the grape leaves. I haven't pickled yet, though my mom did. I don't grow enough cucumbers, and they're too valuable for fresh, delicious eating to try to save up enough for pickles. But if we get an overload of snap beans, I'm going to make a bunch of dilly beans for my husband. Partly because it's a safe way to can them without a pressure cooker, and partly because he's the most amazing man in the world, ever. (Sorry, guys. He is. But I'm sure you're pretty great, too.)
I put the grape leaf on the bottom then the garlic, mustard seed, and what ever I put in there, then another one on top. Since I have never made pickles before I followed a friends recipe. I will not know how they turn out for some time... :)
We have one healthy baby, who hatched out before noon. The others tried to hatch between 1 and 5pm today, and didn't make it. It looks like they got caught up in the membrane, and it dried out, even though Tom Ka Gai was being a good mommy. I tried to wash down the outside of the nesting box a few times, and even draped it with an old white sheet. I think the air was just too dry.

Tomorrow I'll put them in the mini coop. The second set of eggs is due to hatch around the 25th.
Congrats on the one baby! Hot weather for a little one!

Looking forward to hearing about the ones on the 25th.

Back
Top Bottom