New and looking for info!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fe0208, Feb 6, 2018.

1. fe0208

fe0208 In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2018
    Hello all! We are looking at getting ducklings in the spring to raise for eggs. Originally we were thinking chickens but I am starting to sway towards the idea of starting out with ducks since they are hardier and seems like their housing would be easier to get up and running. Our house sits on just over an acre so we have a decent size yard. I am trying to figure out the safest set up for ducks but also allowing them some grazing room. I've read they are very helpful in the garden but I am afraid to just let them run loose while I am at work all day. I thought about a portable grazing pen that would allow them to access to different areas of the yard while still being protected. How long can they be in a pen like that without access to their shelter? Or is the pen not ideal for an all day thing?

I am looking at getting 3 peking ducks to start. If all works out well we will add chickens to the mix next spring. I am trying to read up on as much information as possible before purchasing so I am open to anything you have to share!

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    You may want to look into tractor coops. I'd avoid the designs with ramps, though--our ducks have a bit of trouble with them.

EDT: And good luck! Welcome to BYC!

casportpony likes this.
  3. MyISAbrownhens

MyISAbrownhens Songster

May 23, 2017
    Virginia
    They can be able to be in the run as long as the sun is out. The run should be at least 10 square feet per duck if their not free range. They only need to get into the shelter/coop with the sun starts setting.

casportpony likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I would build a house and a large enclosed Run. During the day when your not home they will be safe from all predators...It only takes one to come and kill them all.
    When your home you can keep an eye on them as they get out to free range.
    Best wishes..:frow

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC! have you seen any of the articles or threads here:

sylviethecochin and MrsMistyReal like this.
  6. MrsMistyReal

MrsMistyReal Enabler

Aug 6, 2014
    Mississippi
    karibu.jpg :welcome:goodpost::highfive::jumpy

casportpony likes this.
  7. Runnerducks1

Runnerducks1 Chirping

Feb 12, 2018
    Washington
    Good luck with your hatch, and :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: