New Baby is Crippled

lovemyprettybirds

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
As I unpacked our last hatchery delivery this season I discovered a fragile little body at the bottom of the pile who although seemingly near death, seemed genuinely pleased to see me and very responsive to the care I provided. I'm not sure which lineage this baby comes from yet, but it's a "game" variety, probably Shamo or Cubalaya. (My husband ordered these, he's very fond of Shamo's & Asils. The hatchery did not have enough Shamo's to fill his order so they filled it in with other game breeds) Anyway, after offering hydration, feed & heat, etc., I discovered the baby was crippled. It can only use one leg, and never places weight on the lame leg. It doesn't seem to be a broken leg and it doesn't look like "splayed leg." I don't know how IT feels, but I have become very attached & am determined to provide it with the best care that I can reasonably offer (OK, I would feel that way anyway. But, it's cheery disposition & toughness intensify my original instinct). So, after all that explaining, what could be wrong with this little thing? I know. I could take it to the vet for x-rays, but, I don't have that kind of money. It never puts any weight on the lame leg, it feeds itself and displays no other symptoms besides the lame leg. I've housed it with 2 other chicks for warmth & comfort & they get along fine. It even instigated a game of "catch the floating feather" and although I'm not completely privy to the rules, it seemed to be doing very well. I think it's a survivor, I just wondered if any one else had a similar experience and how things turned out for them.

I don't know anything about anything
idunno.gif
... but I am now very attached to this dear little guy too.
love.gif
I am hoping someone who knows something... ThreeHorse perhaps or PurpleTree, will come along and offer some real help.

Could it be spraddle leg? I've also read on here where a lack of nutrition seems to affect stability... so polyvisol baby vitamins without iron will boost it's strength. But I don't know if this is called for or not.
fl.gif

I'm crossing everything that he's going to do just fine.

Jenny

Thank you both for the suggestions and moral support. I did look at the posts about slipped tendons. At first I thought that perhaps that must be it. But after examining the leg and tendon again, it seems like the tendon is where it should be.

The hock does seem to be swollen. I have observed it putting weight on the hock, but not foot. The toes are not curled as in the pictures of the little ones with the slipped tendons. In fact, the toes look pretty normal.

I'm pretty brave when it comes to medicating and treating animals and I have vet wrap if needed, but I want to be sure it will help first.
I will try to get a picture.

Thanks again!

Here's a picture:
35068_crippled_baby_008.jpg

It can move and curl the toes, but most of the time this is how it holds its tiny little foot. The lame one is the one up in the air. I've been keeping it on towels, cloth and paper, with 2 other chicks for companionship. I'm feeding it a medicated chick starter, and I gave it electrolytes and vitamins the first week and a half or so. I've seen no signs of pasty butt, poop seems normal. As you can probably see in the photo, it's crop is FULL, it has a healthy appetite. If anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences please share them. I really hope this is correctable!

Hi there:
I once a LONG time ago had a blue jay chick. It had either fallen out of the nest and therefore hurt his leg OR was pushed because he had a bum leg not sure which.

His hock was on the ground ALL the time though he could open and close the toes/talon with no problem.

I took him to a rehab vet who said he was fine.He wasnt. he did live and for a few years BUT he could only fly from up high to down low.He could not fly UP as his leg would not let him push off.He bacame a very tame and fun pet.

My point being, if he is eating, pooping and growing, you may not be able to "fix" him but it may not matter.Perhaps you have a house chicken now.

My jay made me sad for a while but my mother (very wise woman) said HE doesn't know there is anything wrong with hem.to him he just IS that way.Looks like your guy is that way also,

I hope someone will be along to help you fix him but if not, it will probably still be alright.

My jay lived like a cockateil and LOVED being in on the family activity and especailly liked to play tug of war with pencil and LOVED baths in bowls of warm water and being dreid with the hair dryer. Also loved rindng in the car with the windows down a bit.He would SING his little heart out.But he had NO desire to leave and stay outside.I walked with him on my arm and he never flew away.I sinbathed and tried to get him to stay out but he just wanted to be with us as I guess he was imprinted to us.

Hope that gives you some hope
smile.png

Yes it does give me hope bkreugar. And thank you for sharing. I'm perfectly willing to accept the little thing as it is. Most of my chickens are pets anyway, and I already decided I would do whatever I could to give this little thing a happy life. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom