new chcikens to buy

ange

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
CORNING NY
In a few months, I am going to be looking for new hens to add to my flock, for eggs only. Hoiw should i GO ABOUT it. My others I bought in a auction and craigslist. Wouldm it be better to start from baby chickens, and I HAVE OR BUY FULL GROWN LAYERS , AS i HAVE. Which is best

are your chickens pets, food, or somewhere in between? Do you have time for raising chicks? do you want them to snuggle you when you have treats?

My chickens, what few I have. I want them to lay eggs, and they are pets. I do not intend to have them for meat. I do want them to snuggle for treats. And I would make time to raise if that is best. I would feed and clean and change in the moring, and afternnoons and evening. I am gone from 9 am to 3 pm but am home 3 days all day.

Well, it is really best for you (and thus best for the chickens) that matters. I find the chickens I have raised from chicks are more snuggly, especially if I kept the brooder in a high-traffic area like the kitchen. IME, all chicks go through the "OMG treat-bringer is scary and will eat me" phase while teenagers; but get over it when they hit maturity. My new layers re-discover their love of the snuggle, and get over-pushy at times. Runt, my brahma mutt, took food out of the baby's mouth and stole a sandwhich from my hand Sunday. She KNOWS she has a free pass for life.

But, raising them from chicks takes time, money, and lots of anxiety as you wait for them to stop freeloading. Ya know? On the other hand, when they FINALLY lay an egg, you are sooooo proud.

Back
Top Bottom