New chicks keep passing away for no apparent reason?! Help!

I work at a feed store and we usually lose at least a handful of any shipment of bantams. Sometimes all. They just are much more susceptible to getting chilled or stressed.
This is what I'm thinking is the cause. They had come in, the day I took them home. So they were in at least 3 or 4 days of transportation, and they simply passed when they got to my house, the final destination. They were only at the store for a couple hours, so it would make sense that they passed at my house. They are so fragile, especially at so young. Not to mention, the three that have passed were very small and one was very skinny, so they were much more succebtiable to getting smashed underneath all the other chicks and not getting enough nutrients.

From experiences I've had, they're probably not going to survive. Most feed stores have sick chicks that die shortly after.
This is my first bad experience from getting chicks through a feed store. But also the first time not going through a big chain. Not sure if there's correlation or not, but it seemed like the feed store I went to were not that knowledgable on chicks.

Medicated feed is not gonna kill coccidiosis, it only prevents it. You need to go to tractor supply and get corid to mix in their water. This looks like coccidiosis to me. Had it happen to chicks I bought at TSC and was able to save half of them once I realized what it was. It kills fast so the sooner the better.
Alright, thank you. I am going to get the corid right now. Thankfully all the other chicks seem very lively and no symptoms, but I will vaccinate all of them. I will still get the medicated feed as well.

I’d let them know about the old feed vs tossing it. They might very well give you a refund. Possibly on the chicks too.

I’d let them know about the old feed vs tossing it. They might very well give you a refund. Possibly on the chicks too.
I will definitely tell them about it, but it was only $7 so not a big loss. As for the chicks, we got them from a local feedstore not Tractor Supply, but they are still refundable or I can choose a replacement chick. I will not be getting more chicks from that feed store though, based off the health of the ones I have gotten from them.

Maybe pick up some poultry nutridrench while you’re there, too. It’s a fast acting vitamin supplement that you’ll want to give AFTER treating them for coccidiocis. And make sure you use the treatment dose for corid, not the prevention dose! Good luck to you & your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom